• Closest thing to Zephyr humbuckers?

59s? WLH?

They sound like Jazzes to me.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      how does a jazz bridge sound? like a lower output 59?

Comment

Definitely not WLHs because the Zephyrs are scooped and the WLHs are middy. 59s could be an ok approximation because they're scooped and vintage output, but the Zephyrs sound exactly like Jazzes to me. Jazzes have solid but tight and not overbearing bass and an immediate response with modern tone character. 59s have boomy bass with a more liquid response and vintagey gibsoney tone character. To me, the Zephyrs sound exactly like souped up Jazzes.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Definitely not WLHs because the Zephyrs are scooped and the WLHs are middy. 59s could be an ok approximation because they're scooped and vintage output, but the Zephyrs sound exactly like Jazzes to me. Jazzes have solid but tight and not overbearing bass and an immediate response with modern tone character. 59s have boomy bass with a more liquid response and vintagey gibsoney tone character. To me, the Zephyrs sound exactly like souped up Jazzes.
          shame that there is nowhere i can listen to the jazz bridge

Comment

Yeah that ain't right haha.
            I bought them for you

Comment

They are pretty bright and clear, like the Jazz set or the Full Shred set.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                They are pretty bright and clear, like the Jazz set or the Full Shred set.
                i find the 59 bridge also to be very clear, how is the jazz bridge different?

Comment

Jazz bridge is very similar to an S-Deco, which is intended to have a more Strat-like quality than normal thick, mid-heavy humbuckers. 59B is a great rock pickup, some people hear it as scooped (I don'tt hear it that way so much) but compared to Jazz the 59 doesn't have as much top end and the bottom end and mids are different. 59 has a low-mid kind of bottom end. Jazz has a tamed low mid and some. lower but tamed thump to it (IME). 59 top end rolls off or is way softer than the Jazz.

But all that aside, I'm not convinced any production pickup will be 'close' to a Zephyr. The Zephyr seems to have qualities of multiple pickups, like the top end of this one, the note definition of that one, the mid clarity of another one...etc.

Rather than trying to find one 'like' a Zephyr, it would be better to identify what sound you need and find a pickup that does that, even if you have to go custom shop. Because by the time you buy 3-4 sets of pickups and not naling your sound, you've spent more than double what a custom shop set would cost.
                  Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-06-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

i find the 59 bridge also to be very clear, how is the jazz bridge different?
                    The Jazz has less bass and more treble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The Jazz has less bass and more treble.
                      Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Jazz bridge is very similar to an S-Deco, which is intended to have a more Strat-like quality than normal thick, mid-heavy humbuckers. 59B is a great rock pickup, some people hear it as scooped (I don'tt hear it that way so much) but compared to Jazz the 59 doesn't have as much top end and the bottom end and mids are different. 59 has a low-mid kind of bottom end. Jazz has a tamed low mid and some. lower but tamed thump to it (IME). 59 top end rolls off or is way softer than the Jazz.

But all that aside, I'm not convinced any production pickup will be 'close' to a Zephyr. The Zephyr seems to have qualities of multiple pickups, like the top end of this one, the note definition of that one, the mid clarity of another one...etc.

Rather than trying to find one 'like' a Zephyr, it would be better to identify what sound you need and find a pickup that does that, even if you have to go custom shop. Because by the time you buy 3-4 sets of pickups and not naling your sound, you've spent more than double what a custom shop set would cost.
                      would you guys say that the Jazz Bridge is more raw and aggressive than the '59?

Comment

No. It's not raw and agressive. It just has a different EQ. But the bridge model covers a hell of a lot of heavy rock ground in a Gibson. With the right amp and playing style, I suppose you could get an agressive aound out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

would you guys say that the Jazz Bridge is more raw and aggressive than the '59?
                          I would never describe the Jazz as more raw and aggressive than anything. It has more high end, and less bass than the 59, that's it. It is about the same power.

Comment

. . . but the Zephyrs sound exactly like Jazzes to me. To me, the Zephyrs sound exactly like souped up Jazzes.
                            Can you describe "souped up?" I'm just curious as to why one would spend the premium price for Zephyrs, rather than just getting a set of Jazz's?

Comment

have you actually played them? they are pretty unique. the jazz might be the closest thing in the normal line but there are some definite differences. the neck bucker was so damn nice sounding, the clarity and way the individual strings blended together in chords was wonderful

Comment

Working...
                              X