Closest thing to Zephyr humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    have you actually played them? they are pretty unique. the jazz might be the closest thing in the normal line but there are some definite differences. the neck bucker was so damn nice sounding, the clarity and way the individual strings blended together in chords was wonderful
    No, I've never played them, but I can hear the differences just thru the demos. You can hear the profound clarity and definition to the bass and treble, plus a uniqueness to the tone color.

Just think it's obvious that the thing they're closest to would be the jazzes with the firm but tight bass, crisp highs, and clear and modern sound. Like in this demo of Falbo at 3:25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swjx...=PremierGuitar

You can really hear the deepness and profound clarity on these demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6f6...liaMusicCenter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRG...=JackThammarat
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

The Zephyrs are really their own thing. I don't think you can compare them to other passive pickups at all.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Zephyrs were a marketing gimmick. Using silver wire in place of copper was completely pointless. Let's put it this way, what problem does copper represent that less resistive silver solves?

And they were "cryogenically treated" and used some unnecessarily fancy plastics? There's a solution in search of a problem if ever there was one.

If they did sound like the Jazz, it would have been because the bobbins have about the same number of turns of silver wire as a the Jazz has turns of copper wire.

Comment

Originally posted by PicoRiveraTele View Post
          The Zephyrs were a marketing gimmick. Using silver wire in place of copper was completely pointless. Let's put it this way, what problem does copper represent that less resistive silver solves?

And they were "cryogenically treated" and used some unnecessarily fancy plastics? There's a solution in search of a problem if ever there was one.

If they did sound like the Jazz, it would have been because the bobbins have about the same number of turns of silver wire as a the Jazz has turns of copper wire.
          Believe it or not, they do sound different than regular passive humbuckers. If you want that specific sound, and think the unique features of these pickups are worth paying for, then they are worth it to the people who have no problem paying for them.

Comment

Definitely an investment. If I could I would pair them with a BMP.
            Not in this life.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Believe it or not, they do sound different than regular passive humbuckers.
              I need to see some evidence of this. And to be clear, this is not simple skepticism. The idea that decreasing the already trivial resistance across the coil is significant to the way a pickup operates is silly.

Comment

I need to see some evidence of this. And to be clear, this is not simple skepticism. The idea that decreasing the already trivial resistance across the coil is significant to the way a pickup operates is silly.
                Have you played them? I don't think anyone asserted the simple change in resistance is solely responsible for any noticable difference in sound. There could be a number of other factors in it's assembly that affect it's sound, like layering and tension. So far, several people who played them didn't react that they sound like anything else in the product line. Granted it's a small sample and not a controlled scientific study, but the human response of someone who is a professional or skilled/experienced in the domain shouldn't be discounted outright. The first time you try something, you don't know what to expect, so your initial response is perfectly valid and informative.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you, but I've tried them. There is something to them. PRS makes guitars that cost $20k, and there is a market for them, too. I get that there is a lot of skepticism out there. If they sounded just like every other passive pickup, I'd say that. But they are their own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    There could be a number of other factors in it's assembly that affect it's sound, like layering and tension. So far, several people who played them didn't react that they sound like anything else in the product line.
                    How are layering and tension supposed to affect the sound? I have yet to see anyone explain how that's supposed to work.

People trying them and thinking they sound different, that's easy to discount, the lack of a proper double blind demonstration, people being impressed with the fact that they're so expensive is enough to make a person think they're hearing something special.

Comment

In the end, if you don't think that they sound good enough to justify the price, just don't purchase them. There are plenty of cheap pickups out there.

Comment

Is your issue that they are expensive? Price out of the equation (or if they were the same price as other production pickups), they still sound different than any other model that they make.

Comment

Is your issue that they are expensive? Price out of the equation (or if they were the same price as other production pickups), they still sound different than any other model that they make.
                          Price out of the equation and I would have some in a heartbeat.

Comment

No they don't. I know this to be a fact because I know what materials are used, and I understand the underlying physics. You can try to say the pull off some magic trick, I know this not to be true, because I keep both of my feet in reality. I only mention the price point because consumers are frequently fooled into mistaking price for quality.

Comment

are you honestly saying you know "for a fact" what a pickup you've never played sounds like? asking for a friend...
                              Quality riffs in about a minute...
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

No they don't. I know this to be a fact because I know what materials are used, and I understand the underlying physics. You can try to say the pull off some magic trick, I know this not to be true, because I keep both of my feet in reality. I only mention the price point because consumers are frequently fooled into mistaking price for quality.
                                No one said they were higher quality. Only that they sound different than a Jazz set.

Comment

Working...
                                X