Jupiters (or Nazgul?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jupiters (or Nazgul?)

Hi all. I can't find a whole lot of talk about the Jupiter set but I've come close about 20 times to buying a set. I'm in a 'try different sets in different guitars' phase right now and am itching to try the Jupiters but I'd like to hear from others who've tried them if there are any around. I really like the sound of the Nazgul, though. I had one and traded it towards a pretty sweet amp, and now miss it a lot. I have a couple of sets of Black Winter's and 3 different Fishman's, so I'm not really looking outside of these two.

For context, I play metal, and not much else. So I was curious if anyone here has played both? Or even just the Jupiters?

Thanks everyone!

I've owned neither, but the radius of the Jupiter's rails is a factor that hasn't been explained very well so far.

IME/IMO,,,,,,,, flat-rail designs like the Dimebucker and X2N work(string-to-string balance) almost perfectly when the bridge radius is flatter like an edge/pro or a floyd with the stock shim removed from the center and outer shim/s added (at least on the low-string side).

I once had an x2n in a guitar with a 12" radius board and a stock OFR (10" radius).
    When adjusting the pickup for the outer strings to sound their best it would then leave the inner strings a little bit duller sounding, or at least it felt duller while picking.
    Conversely, if I set the pickup height by the inner strings, well then the outer strings were too close and the notes would warble, especially high-up on the board.

With the Jupiter models the rails are the magnets if I understand correctly, so I'm not sure how that effects things.
    I bet the curved rails would match great with a lesser bridge radius, like maybe 10-12" range.
    I wonder what Wes's guitars are? (board and bridge radius)

Comment

The Jupiters are new enough to just simply not have many in the wild yet. I would think the Jupiter is more balanced than the Nazgul, which has some high mid bump in there. Trying the Nazgul, it is pretty much only good for severe distortion, where I get the impression that the Jupiter would be more versatile. That might not matter if you go for one sound all the time.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I ordered a set of the Jupiter 6 Bridge and Neck. I wasn't able to find a single person who said anything about the Jupiter 6 Neck anywhere online. there's a guy on here with one of the first sets, but he's waiting for the guitar he's installing them in to be built so he hasn't tried them yet either.

Once Long & McQuade in Canada finally gets a set to fulfill my order I can try and let you know my thoughts.

Comment

Certainly let us know your impressions. With new models like this, it takes awhile for actual user reviews to make it to the forum.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I think you're right about the Nazgul, I do remember it being a pretty extreme at all times. I really did like it though for what it does.

As for the Jupiters, the video gave me the feeling that they'll be really rich in clarity, which I wouldn't be against at all. I use the blue channel on a 5153 stealth as my main sound and it sounds great with the Will Adler Fishman's. I would like a little more thickness from the pickup than those have though, without going overboard. I'm looking to replace a jazz neck I have too (hence the Jupiter or Alpha Omega set). The jazz was left it in the car for a month before I realized it and now it sounds weird. It almost sounds single coil for whatever reason. Wax was everywhere and now it sounds underpowered, even raised high, against a Pearly bridge.

IronSean, I would definitely like to hear back when you get to try them out!

Comment

Go hit up Wes Hauch on Facebook and ask him about it. He’s a cool guy, has replied to my dumb gear questions a few times.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
              X