banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackmore rocking a Superstrat in 1974?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmore rocking a Superstrat in 1974?!

So, I happened to come across this interesting photo on a FB group today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ritchie-blackmore3.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	6021734

It looks like Blackers is using a humbucker in the bridge position here. But what is it actually? It doesn't look like quite a regular-sized humbucker, but what little can be seen of the shape suggests that it was produced by somebody rather than being a homebrew. Any ideas?

Looks like a Firebird pickup.

Comment

He used humbuckers up until the 4th Deep Purple album, and he had a better sound for it, too. His guitars didn't last long, so my guess is that it was a quick experiment that he smashed about 10 minutes after the photo was taken.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks like a Gibson mini humbucker with the cover off. If so, it would be two Melody Maker singles oriented to make a humbucker. It can't be a Firebird pickup because you can't take the cover off Firebird pickups without destroying them, and there are no slugs or filisters in a Firebird pickup.

David Gilmour also had a humbucker in his black strat about that time as well.

Comment

Looks more like 2 lipstick pickups to me. Anyone notice the plate or block behind the whammy?
          Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-11-2020, 02:05 PM.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That's an interesting subject. My take on it is, the first instances of "strats with humbuckers" were popping up from time to time in the 70s but "superstrats" as a template, a coherent idea in sound and style, as a way of life emerged between Eddie Van Halen's, Wayne Charvel's and Grover Jackson's work. Mr. Floyd Rose deserves a mention right here as well.

C/J paved the way to build them, EVH paved the way to play them and the rest is history.

Comment

I think Wayne Kramer was the first SuperStrat in the late 60's

Comment

The trem looks interesting too. Are you sure it’s 1974?

Also check out the batwing part of the pickguard extending above the neck.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Blackmore did experiment quite a bit with Strat modifications in the 70s (amp mods, too). But I think it was all in service of chasing the tone in his head.
                  His tone in 2020 isn't nearly as good. I am a huge Blackmore fan, btw, but I don't like the sound of his newer ENGL amps.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Looks like a Gibson mini humbucker with the cover off.
                    Gibson Deluxe style mini's are also held together by the cover like Firebird pickups. A Deluxe style pickup has a hollow bobbin with one row of screws and then a blade for the other coil.

Click image for larger version  Name:	deluxe-mini-humbucker-pickup-kit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	6021805
                    Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-11-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      The trem looks interesting too. Are you sure it’s 1974?

Also check out the batwing part of the pickguard extending above the neck.
                      As sure as I can be when finding something online. According to deep-purple.net it was taken on 15 May 1974. And yes, I have no idea what is going on with the trem either. It almost looks like they've attached it with plywood!

Comment

He probably ripped the trem out. In 74 he was destroying a lot of guitars. The ones he destroyed were *usually* pieced together from parts and just had to hold together for one song at the end of the set.

Comment

Working...
                        X