Dimarzio AT-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio AT-1

On paper this sounds like a great pickup, so much so Ive mentioned as an option a couple times. Thinking about putting one in my LTD.

It appears to be similar to the JB without the upper mid honk. The few videos Ive heard are of Andy Timmons playing it, so obviously its gonna sound really good.

Anyone have realy world experience with it?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

I have had a At-1 in a Strat with an ash body and it is great! Good for classic rock and slightly heavier tones. You could use it for heavy stuff but my strat has a more rock feel. Great harmonics and response, I just had Seymour Duncan SSL-5's in the neck and mid installed and it matches well with them. I didn't like the Cruisers with it because they weren't powerful enough. The At-1 is like a higher output PAF 36th Anniversary, I have not tried it in a Les Paul Scale but I think it would do well in there too. It is a very clear and articulate pickup. It is fun to play through. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Guitarmusic; 10-11-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The harmonics are very easy to get with the AT-1 similar to a JB but with lower mids and not nearly as much output. I also like the low end better too compared to the JB. That is just my opinion.

Comment

Yep, tighter down low and a bit less upper-mid focused than the JB, but still cuts well. On par with the JB in terms of harmonics. Very nice, all-around rock and metal pickup. I "de-aired" mine for a little more punch and it's absolutely killer in a naturally bright guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          Yep, tighter down low and a bit less upper-mid focused than the JB, but still cuts well. On par with the JB in terms of harmonics. Very nice, all-around rock and metal pickup. I "de-aired" mine for a little more punch and it's absolutely killer in a naturally bright guitar.
          I need to figure out how to do that, I know that it is simple, but sounds worth a try.

Comment

Its going into a mahogany body guitar w bolt on maple/rosewood neck that currently has a C5 in it.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
              Its going into a mahogany body guitar w bolt on maple/rosewood neck that currently has a C5 in it.
              The AT-1 will have A lot more mids to the tone. It will cut through in a different way, the output should be similar. The At-1 and the C5 are both Alnico 5 magnets. Please let us know what you think!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmusic View Post

I need to figure out how to do that, I know that it is simple, but sounds worth a try.
                Open up the bottom of the pickup, remove the round plastic spacers holding the magnet away from the pole pieces, slide the magnet over so it butts up against either the screws or the slug poles and then use a piece of metal to fill the remaining gap. I found a hex key that fit nice and snug and simply cut it to the right length with a dremel. Works awesome. I think I have a pic somewhere. If so, I'll post it

Comment

Or just swap a UOA5 into the Custom.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to necrobump here. Demanic, I've tried liking your post above and the button didn't work. Then I tried quoting it; that wouldn't work either. But the UA5 Custom is a helluva pickup.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have always wanted to try the AT1 as on paper it seems to address the issues I have with other Dimarzios...I seem to be a minority that doesnt dig the Dmz SD.. to be fair I didnt tweak the tone pot values and caps to suite it.

What DMZ neck humbucker would you pair with it? Not sure if my ears are biased by the 59 and jazz but havent played a DMZ neck pickup that did much for me outside the Mo Joe or PAF Joe...whatever is the neck version. I don't like the Air Norton at all...and it seems to be recommend with all of their higher output bridge humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                        On paper this sounds like a great pickup, so much so Ive mentioned as an option a couple times. Thinking about putting one in my LTD.

It appears to be similar to the JB without the upper mid honk. The few videos Ive heard are of Andy Timmons playing it, so obviously its gonna sound really good.

Anyone have realy world experience with it?
                        Dimarzio has had to replicate / tweak the JB a lot. The AT-1, the Tone Zone and the EBMM EVH pickups just to name a few are pickups they made for artists using the JB. All variations on that then,. It will be good.

I would likely choose a humbucker from hell or a 36th anny model as a neck pickup. I ilke a bright, clear neck tone

Comment

Working...
                        X