Quarter Pounder Humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Pounder Humbucker?

Hi there! The title pretty much says it all, is there such a beast as a Quarter Pounder humbucker? I was looking at a Taylor solid body at my local guitar shop, with an HSS configuration, and all 3 pickups looked a lot like quarter pounders:

Click image for larger version

Name:	qlfr1u3soktjf7ykgw86.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	6022027
    Attached Files

They do look like Quarter Pounds, but they are actually Taylor made pups. From Taylor: "The humbucker is the High Gain (HG) version, which is slightly darker-sounding with a crunchier tone."

Cool guitar though. It's the SB-1X HSS.

Comment

It certainly looks like they took the look of the Quarter Pounder from Seymour Duncan. I think I remember reading about a stacked Quarter Pound from the Custom Shop.
      Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Quarter Pounds don't have machining holes on the sides.

Comment

Some Anderson humbuckers have that look as well
          Quality riffs in about a minute...
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Yes. Stick 2 QPs in a hum slot and wire them in series. It's a waste of string pull in the bridge position imo tho. I do use a myth set in series in the neck in a mustang as a mustang humbucker because Duncan would NOT wind me a real one. I've had a homemade strat stag mag that I want to revisit and want to try a jaguar one.
            Originally posted by NegativeEase
            I'd wager that Clint can best GuitarStv at Wat and WAAAT... but not Watts.

I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint besmirchment per hour

and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of described Nirvana transgression per post.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Yes. Stick 2 QPs in a hum slot and wire them in series. It's a waste of string pull in the bridge position imo tho. I do use a myth set in series in the neck in a mustang as a mustang humbucker because Duncan would NOT wind me a real one. I've had a homemade strat stag mag that I want to revisit and want to try a jaguar one.
              Wiring them in series would make a muddy pickup, parallel would be more usable. Even better yet, re-magnetize the poles pieces of one of the pickups in reverse polarity so that it can humbuck.

String pull isn't much of an issue in the bridge position, it has a lot more consequence the further the pickup is towards the center of the strings, because the strings are stiffer at the ends.

Comment

I couldn't speculate how such a pickup would sound, but if someone has 2 QPs, I'd love to hear about the experiment. I would suspect series would be unusable and thick, but parallel could work well.
                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Just have Custom Shop make a Trembucker Stag Mag out of QP coils, but wind them so series coils isn't worse than the Invader.
                  Originally posted by Demanic
                  Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
                  Originally posted by GuitarFanatic
                  I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
                  I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
                  I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I couldn't speculate how such a pickup would sound, but if someone has 2 QPs, I'd love to hear about the experiment. I would suspect series would be unusable and thick, but parallel could work well.
                    It actually works lol! To be fair it was a qp and custom strat I used but it was still a beastly 26k worth of pickup. The benefit is you still hear the qualities of the parent pups such as the qp's characteristic metallic mids which I love. It's just boosted like crazy and more compressed. Still plenty usable tho and even sounds good imo if you like hot pickups.
                    Originally posted by NegativeEase
                    I'd wager that Clint can best GuitarStv at Wat and WAAAT... but not Watts.

I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint besmirchment per hour

and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of described Nirvana transgression per post.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                      Some Anderson humbuckers have that look as well
                      Yah, the Anderson humbuckers are like that and I believe they use actual rod mags like a QP - great definition and they split famously well.
                      The H2+ is pretty popular as a medium-hot bridge pickup and the H3 is even stronger. I have an H2 which is more of a vintage-plus output.

I've seen cheap Chinese pickups that have a similar look, but using steel slugs with a ceramic magnet underneath.
                      Dragonfire Phat Screamers are like that.

Also have a RioGrande "Tallbreed" dual-Strat-coil hybrid: one Tallboy and one Halfbreed together on a baseplate.
                      Fairly nice pickup - big, punchy and loud. In series it isn't as dark as you might expect.
                      I think the tightly focused field of the magpoles helps keep it detailed, though it can get a bit mushy with tons of gain.
                      (These not the quarter-inch rod mags; they're extra long but standard diameter.)

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

Comment

Working...
                      X