Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for a Les Paul style / sound

Hi all.
    I got this simple LP style guitar, weight relief chambered mahogany body, arched top with set-in mahogany neck, overall nice one but I'm looking for a set of humbuckers that will give it the ummmff and sustainthat its missing, simply more power.
    Application is classic rock, fusion, classic heavy rock etc.
    Important, would like to keep the LP style sound as much as possible.
    Suggestions for a set?
    Thanks

A pair of Saturday Night Specials have some sweet vintage-PAF alnico IV goodness with a beefed up bridge pickup, and the demo video with Doug Rappaport features a bit of smooth fusion playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLsIe5EQqQ

Comment

Stock LP sound? Or 70s hard rock LP sound?

Something like some kind of DiMarzio PAFs or maybe Duncan 59's for the first, something like Super Distortion + PAF for the second
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

More oomph but still having a PAF-ish vibe sounds like the Custom to me.

Comment

The Whole Lotta humbucker set would be my 1st recommendation. '59 set and the SNS are also really good options
          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

+1 for the WLH set. It's a good classic LP flavor but with a little more output than what is typical. I haven't used the SNS set yet, but that seems like a good recommendation as well.

Keep in mind thought that your guitar will have it's own innate sound, which will be different from the guitars of the people that make recommendations. I have a 2006 LP that's heavily chambered, and I had a hard time finding the right pickups b/c it's naturally brighter than most. Ultimately I had to get into magnet swapping to get the sound I was looking for.

Comment

I went through this with my LP Trad Pro. Came with a BB3 in the bridge. Not a bad pickup but I needed more from the bridge. Swapped in a Perpetual Burn and while it sounded nice, wasn't right for it. So, I went to the good old tried and true Super Distortion. That's what it needed. Can't underestimate the flexibility of the SuperD. My LP has coil splits for neck and bridge which makes it very versatile (though I would still do what I do with it even without the coil splits). The '57 Classic in the neck is staying put.
              Last edited by ErikH; 10-16-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

I'd say a stock 59 set is a great start You can always boost it later, but the higher output bridge pickups aren't great at some of the more dynamic styles. The right amp has as much to do as the pickups here as well.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
                  +1 for the WLH set. It's a good classic LP flavor but with a little more output than what is typical. I haven't used the SNS set yet, but that seems like a good recommendation as well.

Keep in mind thought that your guitar will have it's own innate sound, which will be different from the guitars of the people that make recommendations. I have a 2006 LP that's heavily chambered, and I had a hard time finding the right pickups b/c it's naturally brighter than most. Ultimately I had to get into magnet swapping to get the sound I was looking for.
                  You will not be disappointed with the Whole Lotta humbuckers, they sound great!

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post

You will not be disappointed with the Whole Lotta humbuckers, they sound great!
                    A lot of excellent option thrown here, Hmmm I don’t know…I'm even more confused now….ha ha
                    I listened to few demos of WLH, it sounds a little "old" to me….
                    SNL demo by Doug Rapaport sound a blast but everything he plays sound good.

What do you guys think about:
                    JB / Jazz
                    Or
                    SH-4 JB Bridge / SH-1N 59 Neck combo?

I need the pickups to be clear, not to muddy, to response well to dynamics and volume changes on the guitar.
                    Moreover, it has to have that umuummfff and mega teeth / beef into it while leads should scream.

Comment

You just described how the Custom and Super Distortion behave. Not kidding. Yes, both are ceramics but don't let that sway you. It's all how it's utilized.

Let me ask this, what's your amp/pedalboard setup?

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post

A lot of excellent option thrown here, Hmmm I don’t know…I'm even more confused now….ha ha
                        I listened to few demos of WLH, it sounds a little "old" to me….
                        SNL demo by Doug Rapaport sound a blast but everything he plays sound good.

What do you guys think about:
                        JB / Jazz
                        Or
                        SH-4 JB Bridge / SH-1N 59 Neck combo?

I need the pickups to be clear, not to muddy, to response well to dynamics and volume changes on the guitar.
                        Moreover, it has to have that umuummfff and mega teeth / beef into it while leads should scream.

I've owned all of these pickups. The JB is thick, loud and, in my experience, not the easiest pickup to clean up. It's got great sustain and plenty of mids. The low end is loud but a little loose and it's a really good lead pickup. Not one I'd use again but it's got it's strengths. Itll cover plenty of ground. I like the Jazz in the neck but the '59N is a close 2nd.
                        Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

500T / 496R

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            You just described how the Custom and Super Distortion behave. Not kidding. Yes, both are ceramics but don't let that sway you. It's all how it's utilized.

Let me ask this, what's your amp/pedalboard setup?
                            Well, the guitar will most used for an AC/DC tribute project I got now, the amp is Friedman runt 20 into any cab I get, sometimes a mesa 4x12, sometimes a Marshall 4x12, it varies.
                            Pedals, not too much, TS9 and Sigma Super Drive, that’s it, I keep this setup simple as possible and use the amp dirty channel alot.

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post

Well, the guitar will most used for an AC/DC tribute project I got now, the amp is Friedman runt 20 into any cab I get, sometimes a mesa 4x12, sometimes a Marshall 4x12, it varies.
                              Pedals, not too much, TS9 and Sigma Super Drive, that’s it, I keep this setup simple as possible and use the amp dirty channel alot.
                              Gotcha. The Custom or SuperD might be a bit hot then. Maybe a Pearly Gates set? If I remember right, Angus used that set in the past. That could give you what you want with that setup.

I'm in a Journey Tribute now and use the Super Distortion in my Les Paul. I know Neal uses a Custom Custom in his guitars and I thought of swapping it out but the SuperD works just as well for me.

Edit: after our first gig last Friday, I order a CC. LOL. Couldn't get the hard edges dialed out. Still, the SuperD is a great pickup and I'll be keeping it for something else.
                              Last edited by ErikH; 10-19-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X