59 neck in bridge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 neck in bridge.

I can get (borrow) a 59 neck pickup and have been looking for a bridge p/u for an offset partscaster. Currently have a SD Ant2 Mustang pickup in the neck which I like a lot. Wondering how different would the SH1n be from a SH!b in that bridge position. Maybe even the lower wind of the sh1N could be a better fit with the low wind of the Mustang neck .
    I don't come across many bridge pickups I like that much.. most too thin to my ears.. I like the scoop sound with tight lows and somewhat tamed highs which is why I do like the Mustang neck p/u and thinking the 59 could be a good match . Cleans and light crunch are my preferences.
    I could also see a SH1b there and experimenting with some magnet swapping to dial it in. Anybody run a SH1n in the bridge spot..?

59 neck in the bridge is like a poor man's T-Top IME. When I was chasing Jimmay Page tone, it's one of 2-3 that got me the closest.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      59 neck in the bridge is like a poor man's T-Top IME. When I was chasing Jimmay Page tone, it's one of 2-3 that got me the closest.
      That sounds interesting and a bit promising.. I'm wondering if a sh1n might sound a little fuller, rounder so to speak than the sh1b.

Comment

the sh1n will be brighter and cleaner than the sh1b in the same position. the physical position of neck vs bridge is what makes neck pups sound fuller and rounder. pups designated neck pups usually have fewer turns which gives less output and a brighter tonality. in your case, matching a humbucker to a single coil, that may work in your favor and be a great match

Comment

Originally posted by TD9 View Post

That sounds interesting and a bit promising.. I'm wondering if a sh1n might sound a little fuller, rounder so to speak than the sh1b.
          no absolutely NOT!

i had the 59n in the bridge in one guitar for a while and actually preferred it to the 59b in that particular guitar, but it‘s really bright!

i agree with jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by TD9 View Post

Not fuller and rounder, but clear and good bite. I tried it because they are notoriously tubby in the neck, so I wondered if that tubbiness would balance out the brightness of the bridge position, and it kind of did. It was quite even for me. I also used a T-Top replica in the same guitar, same position, and by comparison the replica was murkier, less clear, but the same tone profile, same amount of bass, mids and treble. A lot of 70's rock was done with T-Tops in the bridge. The 7.5k / A5 recipe works pretty well. I've heard a short bar A5 in a Jazz neck is the closest to a T-Top, but when I tried just a straight a Jazz Neck in the bridge, it didn't sound right; it was thumpy and not as clear and was missing some bite (I didn't believe a short bar would significantly alter the tone profile, so just tried it as is).

Comment

Allan Holdsworth used a 59 neck in the bridge for years. He sounded amazing with it.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the good suggestions.. I'm leaning toward the 59b at the moment..

Comment

There are no rules. It can't hurt to try. If it works for you, who cares!
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I ordered a 59 bridge pickup.. They just sound so freaking good.. I've been looking at several different SD's .. After whittling it down to Seth Lovers, Antiquity's, and the 59'... I went with the 59 here as I just need the one pickup for the bridge that I am pairing with a SD Ant2 Mustang neck pickup. Well see how it goes but I think the tight, slightly scooped sound of the 59 is pretty much what I am looking for.. I like the balance and the good presence in the low end the 59 has and have a dislike for treble monsters..
                    I am stealing the Mustang pickup out of another offset partscaster and I do believe I will go with a set of the Antiquity's when I redo that one. After a couple of hours listening to the Lovers and Ants I think the Antiquity's are the ones for me.. For me there are just too many times I didn't really like the Seth bridge.. I felt the Seth bridge had a tendency to get a little loose and it seemed to me it was a little too microphonic for my taste when pushed a little, where as the Antiquity's did not display any of that to my ears..
                    I'm no expert so ymmv..
                    That "Visual Guy " has some really good comparison videos out there as far as videos go.. Does a lot of SD comparisons. Doesn't kill it with a bunch of effects either..
                    Thanks for all the good input here..

Comment

The 59 is still an amazing pickup, and what it does isn't easily replicated by any other model. Let us know how this project turns out!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Most old pafs were wound more like the 59N than the 59B.

Replace the polished A5 magnet with a roughcast A5 and you'll get closer still.

Or roughcast A2 or A4.

However, A5 will seem louder than A2 or A4. Not a bad thing for a bridge pickup.
                        Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-19-2020, 10:58 AM.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If you want a '59 neck, I'm happy to sell you one in Zebra. I also have every variety of magnet laying around, so I can mag swap in for you if you want__PRESENT
                          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Well I got my 59 bridge pickup yesterday. Ordered directly from SD to get the reverse zebra I wanted. I installed it along with the Mustang Ant2 and so far so good.. I have not got down to any serious assessments yet, just spent the evening getting everything in place , adjusting the intonation and such. I have the pickups just screwed into the body right now as I am ordering my pick guard today. I don't have much adjustability height wise but it's not far off as it is.. Initial impressions are good though. The 59 at low volume shows very nice clean tone.. none of the nasaly thin tone I dislike on a lot of bridge pu's.. Has a nice full clear sound with a balance I like so far. The EQ of the 59 and the Mustang are very similar, (scooped a little) so I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.. But they seem so far to play well together. The middle position sounds pretty good for how little I have played so far. I like the heck out of the pickups on their own. Will have to see how they play together over some time here..
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0455.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	6025509Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0456.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	6025510

This is a 25.5" scale routed body with a 24.75 Gibson scale Tele style Roasted Maple neck and Tele half bridge. The body is based on the 1964 - 1982 Mustang body.
                            Last edited by TD9; 10-30-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

cool looking guitar and i bet the pups sound good! what color guard will go on?

Comment

Working...
                              X