Duncan Distortion, Nazgul, or Black Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion, Nazgul, or Black Winter

So I decided I wanted something different in my ESP LTD MH-10, and I have narrowed it down to these 3. If I get the Distortion, I'd like to get the Mayhem set. The Nazgul or Black Winter, just the bridge. The guitar is basswood. I have a 7 with the Nazgul and I really dig it, but haven't tried the 6 string version yet. The Black Winter I haven't tried before. Looking for more high end and mids and balanced bass. Tuned half step down. Also which of these cleans up better? The Nazgul has ok cleans on my 7 but I usually have to turn down my volume and tone, then adjust my amp to get the tone where I want it. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 10-16-2020, 04:02 PM.

I love the Distortion, not a fan of the Nazgul 7 I hqve and am interested in the BW. Nazgul wont clean up very well, not sure about the BW and Distortion does decemt clean w a volume kmob roll.

My vote is either the BW or Distortion, think you would have more verstility there.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      I love the Distortion, not a fan of the Nazgul 7 I hqve and am interested in the BW. Nazgul wont clean up very well, not sure about the BW and Distortion does decemt clean w a volume kmob roll.

My vote is either the BW or Distortion, think you would have more verstility there.
      Yes, verstilty is a plus.

Comment

Even though the BW is marketed as a metal pu, it can cover a lot of bases. I have thought about putting one in the neck of my Iceman that has the distortion bridge in it
        Last edited by Hsb; 10-16-2020, 05:13 PM.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The Black Winter and Distortion are closely related. If the guitar is naturally on the brighter side, go with the Distortion. If it's a bit darker, go with the Black Winter. Also, you should seriously consider the set, even if you do the Black Winters. Both clean up better than the Nazgul, but I would give the edge to the BW, especially when it comes to split tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            The Black Winter and Distortion are closely related. If the guitar is naturally on the brighter side, go with the Distortion. If it's a bit darker, go with the Black Winter. Also, you should seriously consider the set, even if you do the Black Winters. Both clean up better than the Nazgul, but I would give the edge to the BW, especially when it comes to split tones.
            The guitar is pretty dark. Stock pickups aren't terrible in this guitar, though. The sustain is killer. Just missing more high end and mids. And it currently has a 3 way switch. I plan on installing a 5 way.

Comment

If you're going to go with a 5-way, then I'd recommend the Black Winter set all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                If you're going to go with a 5-way, then I'd recommend the Black Winter set all day long
                Now I just need a 5 way switch to fit my LTD. I see a few on Amazon but not sure which to get. I'm going to go with the Black Winter set.

Comment

For versatility between these 3, the Black Winter by far. The Nazgul is only good with a ton of distortion, and the Distortion set is slightly more versatile, in that it can sound good with many kinds of distortion. But the BW can do all kinds of clean, too,
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Black Winter is a passive that sounds like an active pickup. It can do anything clean or distorted. To me it has a sterility to it and gets most its character from all the other equipment in the chain; pedals, amp, EQ settings.

I am surprised a basswood guitar is very dark, but I only owned one previously, so anything is possible. But it does make me wonder if the signal chain, pickups, wiring, amp, is making it seem darker than it is.

Comment

Black Winter all the way (and you should get the set, not just the bridge IMO). Way more versatile than the Naz (which I have and really like, but it doesn't clean up well at all). I've played the Distortion but haven't owned one so I can't speak to it. But the Winters will do everything you need, particularly if you have a 5-way switch. They clean up beautifully and split really well. They're also great if you're the kind of player who lives on their volume and tone knobs.

Comment

I'd go with the BW too! The cleans of the BW neck are miles above anything I tried and its baffling how well ithey clean up despite being a very high output pup. I have the Nazgul 6string TB. While I love the thing , it would probably be the last in line to do cleans with for me...

Comment

I am on this same journey for a handful of my guitars. I picked up some various sets and will finish installing them asap. I am still debating on what sets to put in what guitars. I am working with the Nazgul Sentient - Pegasus Sentient - Black Winter Set - Alpha & Omega set. I also have a TB5 and TB6 and was thinking of matching it up with a Sentient perhaps. Mahogany with Maple caps are most of what I am dealing with along with a solid Korina. Should be fun!
                          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I currently have the BW and the Distortion in two mahogany body guitars. I think they're pretty similar, and would recommend the Distortion if you favor more old school 80's stuff and the BW in you lean towards modern stuff. Both can cover a lot of ground in the rock and metal genres so I don't think you can go wrong either way. I haven't played the Nazgul as it sounds a little over the top for me based on what I've heard.

Comment

My Black Winter is being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait! Going to install ASAP. I ended up just picking up the bridge for now. Wanted to get the set but my wallet wouldn't allow. Do plan on buying the neck soon, though, and a 5-way switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X