Time for another swap - Custom Custom incoming for LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for another swap - Custom Custom incoming for LP

Last night we had our first gig (Journey Tribute) and while I love the sound of my Les Paul with the Super Distortion, I simply haven't been able to dial out the hard edge I'm getting. Heck, it might be the amp, IDK, I know I've had smoother sounds. Maybe the venue as well. Tone adjustments didn't help much and already cutting the treble on the amp. So, I made the decision and ordered a Custom Custom for it. I know that's what Neal has been using for quite a long time now and I've used it in the past as well so I'm no stranger to it. That should help smooth things out some. I'm a big fan of the Super Distortion and will keep it but with what I need with this band, the CC is the ticket. The '57 Classic in the neck is staying put. Funny enough, I think his signature Les Paul came with that combo if the sustainer was not installed.
    Last edited by ErikH; 10-17-2020, 02:28 PM.

You may also want to consider a RCUO A5 in the Custom if you find the midrange excessive or the bass mushy. With the RCUO A5 the Custom is one of the best balanced pickups I have used and I really like the C8 and Ceramic version already.

Comment

Good thinking. Thanks for that tip.

Comment

The CC is one of my favorite pickups, but I use it in an alder Music Man. I would think it would be great in an LP, too. It occupies a lot of sonic space, and it is great for 1 guitar bands.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The CC is one of my favorite pickups, but I use it in an alder Music Man. I would think it would be great in an LP, too. It occupies a lot of sonic space, and it is great for 1 guitar bands.
          Yup. I used it for years and years until I started tinkering. Funny, that didn't start until I joined this forum. LOL!!!! I'd had it in my alder Frankenstrat and even an Epiphone Les Paul. Was great in both.

Comment

Let us know how you like it in the LP. I’m curious about that pickup as well. I’m running an A8 custom in my paul currently and love it. I would imagine it’s similar to the A2 but hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
              You may also want to consider a RCUO A5 in the Custom if you find the midrange excessive or the bass mushy. With the RCUO A5 the Custom is one of the best balanced pickups I have used and I really like the C8 and Ceramic version already.
              I just did this. A roughcast UOA5 in a Custom is pretty sweet. The Custom Custom I had in a Les Paul simply had too many mids for me. I don't think that hard edge will disappear with a Custom Custom... I think you need something with a lower output...
              Last edited by Ronnie_Snow; 10-18-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Received the Custom Custom today and go it installed this evening. After that I couldn't put the Les Paul down and my fingers are sore. Best way I was going to know was run through our current set list and let me say, it shined and felt exactly how I remembered. That hard edge is gone. By hard edge I don't mean from the mids. I love mids, I mean that harshness around some of the frequencies and the hard attack that comes from ceramic and even some A5 pickups. And no matter what, overall tone is just hard edged. I love pickups with those magnets too but for what I'm needing right now, the Custom Custom is the answer. Everything cuts through, the chords are big and full, and the higher registers on the neck just sing.

A very strange thing came across my mind earlier. Years ago when I built my first Frankenstrat, I went with the Custom Custom as the answer to get to the VH tones I wanted from the guitar (which it does in spades too) and here I am with the same model pickup to get to the Neal Schon tones I'm wanting. Hmmmmm. Says something about that pickup to me. I might need to snag another for my backup guitar with the PB in the bridge (which I will happily keep for future use).

Comment

Damn it!!
                  Now I want to swap an A2 into my Custom 8 in my LP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    Damn it!!
                    Now I want to swap an A2 into my Custom 8 in my LP!!!
                    In the words of Palpatine......... "Do it!"

I ended up ordering another one last night too. If anyone wants a zebra CC, there's one on Amazon right now. Everywhere else either has black only or out of stock. I got the last zebra from banjomikez on eBay for my Warmoth Strat with the WLH in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      Received the Custom Custom today and go it installed this evening. After that I couldn't put the Les Paul down and my fingers are sore. Best way I was going to know was run through our current set list and let me say, it shined and felt exactly how I remembered. That hard edge is gone. By hard edge I don't mean from the mids. I love mids, I mean that harshness around some of the frequencies and the hard attack that comes from ceramic and even some A5 pickups. And no matter what, overall tone is just hard edged. I love pickups with those magnets too but for what I'm needing right now, the Custom Custom is the answer. Everything cuts through, the chords are big and full, and the higher registers on the neck just sing.

A very strange thing came across my mind earlier. Years ago when I built my first Frankenstrat, I went with the Custom Custom as the answer to get to the VH tones I wanted from the guitar (which it does in spades too) and here I am with the same model pickup to get to the Neal Schon tones I'm wanting. Hmmmmm. Says something about that pickup to me. I might need to snag another for my backup guitar with the PB in the bridge (which I will happily keep for future use).
                      The Custom Custom is one of my favorite pickups for all the things it does. It does a whole bunch of styles really really well, and across many different gain ranges. Happy that it also works for you.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The Custom Custom is one of my favorite pickups for all the things it does. It does a whole bunch of styles really really well, and across many different gain ranges. Happy that it also works for you.
                        I used it for years in my old Frankenstrat until I started pickup swapping. And I put one in a Epi Les Paul I had. Funny, the pickup swapping started when I joined the forum. Glad to be back full circle. I love that pickup.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 10-23-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

I used it for years in my old Frankenstrat until I started pickup swapping. And I put one in a Epi Les Paul I had. Funny, the pickup swapping started when I joined the forum. Glad to be back fill circle. I love that pickup.
                          Any chance I could talk you into recording a short phone clip? Doesn’t have to be anything special, just some chords and a little palm muting etc.

I’d love to hear it in your LP under some decent gain...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Any chance I could talk you into recording a short phone clip? Doesn’t have to be anything special, just some chords and a little palm muting etc.

I’d love to hear it in your LP under some decent gain...
                            Will see what I can do. I normally don't use an amp at home. My home rig is AmpliTube 4 on my tablet and I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface. The fun part will be putting it somewhere it can be listened to. I don't have Soundcloud anymore or any of that. I could put it on my Bandmix page. Will let you know.

Comment

Here's a couple MP3's. Both recorded in Reaper with the AmpliTube plugin. One is with the Marshall voiced amp, overdrive out front, double mic'd 4x12 with Greenbacks. The SLO clip is the same cab and mic setup, also with an overdrive out front. I haven't quite finished tweaking settings since installing it in case you're wondering if it's too bright sounding but in a mix, man, it's beautiful.

StoneInLove_LesPaul_SDCustomCustom.mp3

StoneInLove_LesPaul_SDCustomCustom_SLO.mp3
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ErikH; 10-23-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X