Odd sound in middle position (tele)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd sound in middle position (tele)

I have a 77 tele. Duncan antiquity in bridge and just added vintage stack to neck. In middle position, it sounds almost microphonic- like am radio speakers. I followed the wiring from SD site. I did find it odd that old pickup only had two wires- black and white- whereas stk had 4 plus ground. Green and ground went to volume pot (black was old schematic) Black went to 3 way switch (was white on old pup). tied white and red together. something seems wrong. Was I choosing wrong diagram from SD site?

The original Antiquity pickup, which has the historic Fender and Duncan 2 conductor setup, will have been wired to combine with the reverse polarity stock Fender pickup in the neck. When you have put in your more modern 4-conductor/humbucker wire in there you have not accounted for the fact that this reversal has been required for the bridge. So now you have Out Of Phase in the middle.
    Given you probably have more slack in the neck pickup wire, its easier to swap the ground and hot for that pickup.

Comment

OK, that makes sense. So what would i swap out? just reverse current set up? Put green on 3-way selector and black on volume pot? still leaving red and white tied off?

Comment

Yes, reverse ground and hot.

Comment

Yes, this sounds like a classic out of phase sound, which is weak and hollow. On the STK-S4, reverse the green and black.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks all, That did the trick! sounds great. And, there is a definite difference in hum between antiquity bridge and vintage stack neck pup.
            Although I am surprised, I thought the vintage stack would be brighter than the old stock neck pup. Not a whole lot different, except I can crank the vintage stack a lot louder without feedback- a huge plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              On the STK-S4, reverse the green and black.
              Hey Dave. An STK-S4 doesn't have a green wire. It's black/yellow/red/white, with red usually tied off. He has a Tele neck Vintage Stack.

But it sounds like he solved his problem.

Comment

Oops. It has been awhile since I installed mine. Problem solved anyway!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X