My JB Trembucker is Noisy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My JB Trembucker is Noisy!

Has Seymour Duncan changed the wire colors at all over the years? My JB Trembucker has a LOT of hum. My Classic Stack single coils are totally noiseless, but when I switch pickups to the JB I get a lot of noise.

I got the JB used and it has a 2013 sticker on it, which is why I'm wondering if the wire colors have changed since then. I have red and white soldered together, black as hot, and green and bare grounded.

Could it be a bad soldering connection?

Help!

Wire colors haven't changed. It's something else.

Comment

Make sure both coils of the JB are working by tapping on the poles with a screwdriver. Then, we can look at the wiring. It isn't a noisy pickup.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You can check to see that the bare wire hasn't broken anywhere up to the baseplate. That'll cause noise if the baseplate isn't grounded.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Did the screwdriver test. All 10 poles made noise when I poked them. I'll check the baseplate grounding with my multimeter tomorrow sometime.

Comment

10 poles? Are we sure we are talking about a JB?

Comment

12 lol oops

Comment

Do you have pics of the pickup or a link to where you bought it?

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Dun...rdt=true&rt=nc

Here's a link to the original ebay listing.

Comment

Got my multimeter out and did some continuity tests. The mounting screws holding the JB in place are grounded to the bridge. Some of the pole pieces are grounded. Some are not.

Comment

Originally posted by ToolmasterOfBrainerd View Post
                      Got my multimeter out and did some continuity tests. The mounting screws holding the JB in place are grounded to the bridge. Some of the pole pieces are grounded. Some are not.
                      Thats completely normal, only the polescrews are grounded and the slugs are not grounded.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

How much gain are you using? Even humbuckers, with lots of compression & preamp gain, can hum.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm using moderate gain through a solid state amp (Boss Katana). What bothers me is the contrast between the humbucker and the stacked single coils. I would expect the humbucker to have similar noise levels to the stacked singles. It is way noisier.

I'll draw up my wiring diagram. It's mostly standard 5 way switching, but I have a push-pull pot that puts my 2 single coils in series.

Comment

You can get more noise if the full size hum isn't shielded by a cover or there are leads just outside the pup exposed. I had a HSS setup with an uncovered full size in the bridge and covered mini hums in the middle and neck and the bridge was a little noisier with volume or gain.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Also, describe what you mean by "noise." One of the things that took me awhile to learn was that humbuckers tend to cancel "hum." Ie., 60 Hz. Not so much RF and static.

Comment

Working...
                              X