Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio True Velvet vs SD SSL-1

HI!

I was wondering if anyone of you ever tried the True Velvets and the SSL-1 in neck position on the same guitar. How are they different?

I currently have a true velvet in neck position, but it sounds maybe a bit too "surf" for me. I'd like to have a bit more bass and a more "Gilmourish" feel. Could the SSL-1 be the answer?

I use the neck pickup mostly clean of slightly overdriven, mostly lead stuff.

On the other hand, the Fender custom 69 seems to fit my needs, but it does not seem to be sold outside of a whole set. Am I wrong?

And for the curious ones, I have a FS-1 in middle position and a SSL-5 in bridge position.

Thanks!

CS 69's are awesome

Try finding a used one, I'm sure there's plenty of other people who use 69's with a bridge humbucker or something.

Iirc they're 3 identical winds in the set, no RW, no RP

Since they use plastic covers anyway, new/used is utterly irrelevant as long as it works, and the distinct looks of grey fibre base and red wire mean that it's pretty hard to get scammed on em
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-22-2020, 09:06 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Had both the SSL-1 is a great chimey pickup but will be thinner than the True Velvet. Maybe a Alnico II or a Texas Hot would be better.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The Alnico II is an interesting suggestion! I tend to rule out the Alnico 2 magnets since to the best of my knowledge (yeah... coming from youtube...) alnico 2 pickups lacks the kind of bite that alnico 5 and ceramic pickups have. And I like that bite. But based on what I am looking for, I have to admit that, at least on paper and on youtube, the Alnico II fits in very well.

Comment

Alnico II mags are indeed, my favorite. Youtube videos are no substitute for personal experience. And there is a lot of crap out there designed to get clicks, not pass on useful information.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Theobalt View Post
            The Alnico II is an interesting suggestion! I tend to rule out the Alnico 2 magnets since to the best of my knowledge (yeah... coming from youtube...) alnico 2 pickups lacks the kind of bite that alnico 5 and ceramic pickups have. And I like that bite. But based on what I am looking for, I have to admit that, at least on paper and on youtube, the Alnico II fits in very well.
            Consider a 5/2. It has A5 magnets for the bass strings and A2 for the treble.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, the Five Two solves all the things I don't like about vintage Strat pickups. It has a warmth on the high strings while retaining that piano-like bass thing.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X