• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott_F
    replied
    Re: OUCH! Phat Cats in my PRS

Originally posted by Roel from Holland
    I consider to rep[lace the Schaller pickups in my Heritage H575 with either Phat Cats or Z90's. Which pu is most suitable for Jazz/Blues ?

Welcome to the Forum.

I think when you take apart Phat Cats and Z90's, you'll see that Phat Cats are "true" P90's. The Z90's really are not true P90's in the way they are constructed. Al let me borrow a pair of his z90s and I kinda chedked them out, didn't take them apart completely, but they don't sound exactly like P90s to me.

The Phat Cats sound exactly like P90s to me.

Funny, but when I read the title and the word "Ouch", I thought, hmmm.... the first person I've ever read about that didn't like Phat Cats.

As far as the coil tap thing, I just connected that push pull tone pot as a straight tone, push or pulled, still just a tone pot. Great in my PRS.

Leave a comment:

• StevieRaveOn
    replied

Originally posted by BachToRock
    PRS mounts their Bridge pickup slightly closer to the neck that most companies which yeilds a slightly fuller tone with a bit less clarity/attack... I generally prefer more vintage style pickups in them for that reason... a JB might be a bit muddy...

Thanks for the heads up man, I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Roel from Holland
    replied

I consider to rep[lace the Schaller pickups in my Heritage H575 with either Phat Cats or Z90's. Which pu is most suitable for Jazz/Blues ?

Leave a comment:

• BachToRock
    replied

PRS mounts their Bridge pickup slightly closer to the neck that most companies which yeilds a slightly fuller tone with a bit less clarity/attack... I generally prefer more vintage style pickups in them for that reason... a JB might be a bit muddy...

Leave a comment:

• StevieRaveOn
    replied

Not to hijack your post bro, but since there are some PRS folks in here....

Anyone tried a JB out in a McCarty?

Leave a comment:

• Kelsey
    replied

If you look at the drawing and dimensions for the Phat Cat on the SD site, it appears to have short legs. I had one installed in the neck route of an American Series Tele and it fit without a problem, so there shouldn't be any problem with a Strat if it's properly routed.

Leave a comment:

• BachToRock
    replied

My Phat Cats came with the SHORT mounting legs...

Leave a comment:

• Fresh_Start
    replied

Originally posted by msplines
    Erm actually you can tap any pickup anywhere if you want reduced output and different voicing, but it's usually a custom shop option.
    Quarter Pounds and SSL-5 (or 6) Custom single coils are both available in tapped versions - there's a third lead coming out of the middle of the coil that lets you short out a portion of the coil. I've got a variable "dial-a-tap" on a Quarter Pound that is great.

It would be great if the Phat Cats were available with coil taps. Even better if the Twangbanger were (Evan, are you listening?).

BTW Scott F. wrote something about needing to get shorter legs (or maybe longer???) on his Phat Cats - maybe a search would turn up the reference but it may have been B4NB (before new board).

Sorry about the coil tapping detour,

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Would love to hear some clips, ive gotta get me a set of these pickups.

Might even put some in my big new es137, wonder how that would sound compared to some buckers....i feel a thread coming on

Leave a comment:

• msplines
    replied

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
    Can't tap a single coil. Phat Cats are true singles, not stacked hummers.
    Erm actually you can tap any pickup anywhere if you want reduced output and different voicing, but it's usually a custom shop option.

Leave a comment:

• TattooedCarrot
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Do the Phat Cats have any ability to be tapped?
    Can't tap a single coil. Phat Cats are true singles, not stacked hummers.

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

BtR,

Do they have PAF (or 59) legs, or shorter ones? I mean would they fit a strat without modding?

Would appreciate the input!

B

Leave a comment:

• BachToRock
    replied

No tapping... it's a 2 conductor wire...
    I'm just using the 3 position selector and a Volume... Tone is DISCONNECTED!

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

Do the Phat Cats have any ability to be tapped? Just wondering, since PRS switching systems seem to be rendered useless once you put in 2 lead type pickups.

I gotta try these, but I'm not sure which guitar I'd want them in. Ooh, 3 gold one's in my 3 pickup Black Beauty would be sweet!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

This is interesting because, until I read this post, I never paid attention to the Phat Cats, and it appears that they are a variation of what came in my "new" Patriot.

(Removed image to save load time.)

That is, a humbucker-sized single-coil design. I love how they sound in my Peavey, almost to the point of me not wanting to change them.
    (Although, I suspect I will. Can't just leave a set of Duncans lying around.)

Any chance you'll be posting a clip? I'ld love to hear 'em.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-18-2004, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X