HSS Strat mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Strat mod

Hi SD People. New to this forum. I am about to upgrade my HSS strat with SD replacement pickups and looking for suggestions on matching up pickup configurations. I love the clean strat sounds but the original factory pickups just don’t cut it. Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

The most standard, clean, vintage, stratty Duncan set up for an HSS Strat is a Pearly Gates bridge and 2 SSL2s (vintage strats). You could also decide if you'd prefer to have the single coils be noiseless, which changes the sound slightly but is also nice. Those would be the classic stacks.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Bridge bucker:
      Pearly Gates - classic HSS
      JB - rock, hard rock
      Distortion or Hot Rail (yes you can use SSS guards on an HSS strat) - metal

Other options, SSS guard:
      3 singles
      Duncan Everything Axe (JB jr, Duckbucker, Lil 59)
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Just did a customers HSS Strat with a Pearly in the bridge. Great pup for that app.

Comment

Before recommending particular pickups, I have to ask what music you like, and what you want out of your new pickups. More/less power? More modern tone? Identifying the things you don't like really helps narrow it down..think of a much better description than 'better', as that is so subjective.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Before recommending particular pickups, I have to ask what music you like, and what you want out of your new pickups. More/less power? More modern tone? Identifying the things you don't like really helps narrow it down..think of a much better description than 'better', as that is so subjective.
            Mincer, you're not being very fun with these legitimate questions. Screamin' Demon and 2 SSL1's is my two cents.

Flyman55, All Kidding aside, what is your amp/rig? What kind of sounds are you looking for? Avenged Sevenfold, Baxter-era Steely dan, something in between?

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post

Mincer, you're not being very fun with these legitimate questions. Screamin' Demon and 2 SSL1's is my two cents.

Flyman55, All Kidding aside, what is your amp/rig? What kind of sounds are you looking for? Avenged Sevenfold, Baxter-era Steely dan, something in between?
              Yeah, I know. But HSS is a little more difficult, as there is always a tradeoff between tone and balance.

Comment

Great reply Mincer. So I like Steely Dan, Prince funk and Carlton. I use Fractal processing and Deluxe reverb. I use a Suhr HH axe also for the humbucker tones. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Comment

Oh cool, I have a Fractal AX8 and a Deluxe Reverb, too.

Comment

For the influences you sited I would suggest also looking into the 59/custom hybrid for the bridge. I had that in my HSS and thought it was great. The pickup splits very well. I found it to be fairly bright and clear. It also handles gain very well and matched well tone wise and volume wise with the single coils. I was using SSL-52 in the middle and neck. However, I bet the hybrid would match well with most of the duncan single coil line up.

Comment

Ty CK71. I like your recommendations..... Just wish the SSL-52 came in black

Comment

the 5/2 single coil? its just a cover so can be swapped with any other strat cover that fits

Comment

Yes, the Five Two has a replaceable cover. Just gt the color you need. In my HSS, I use a 59/Custom Hybrid and a Five Two in the middle, with a Classic Stack in the neck I chose these pickups because I wanted all positions hum-cancelling.

Comment

Thanx again Mincer

Comment

Working...
                            X