banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickups would you choose for an H/S setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups would you choose for an H/S setup?

I have a GJ2 Arete that utilizes a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I actually really like the sound of the stock pickups, however there is a volume disparity between the two. I was thinking of swapping out the neck pickup for a stacked single coil to help match levels. That said I am not sure which one would be the best. I predominantly play rock style music, so I need something that can do gain and cleans well.

My guitar is a sapele body and neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The bridge humbucker reminds me of a Duncan '59 volume and sound wise. I was looking at the STK-S4 or the STK-S7, but not sure which would match the best. I think I like the sound of the STK-S7 more than the STK-S4. If I wanted to change the humbucker to match the STK-S7 best, what humbucker would match it the best. What do you all suggest? Maybe a Custom/STK-S7 set?

Cole
    Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

The wrong ones apparently.

I did this and in my strat copy used a cool rails with a patb-3...but neither was what I was after:

The rails wasn't single coiley enough and the trembucker was too scooped.

It's still a work in progress although I think I'll just stick with HSS, currently has a custom with a2 and an Stk-s4 and there is a volume difference, but probably the S7 being that bit higher output would work for you.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am curious now as to how much a difference there would be in output from the STK-S4 and the STK-S7... I expect there to be some, but it is quite pronounced in my current setup. Hopefully someone else has some insight/experience in this kind of setup.

Cole
      Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

I know that this is kind of blasphemous, but is the volume disparity really that much of a deal breaker? If you play mostly rock, won't you tend to dwell in your bridge pickup? Then switch to the neck for clean playing? If that's the case, the volume drop could work in your favor. Especially if you play into an amp at the edge of breakup.
        But to otherwise answer your question, I think that I would use a 5/2 in the neck paired with a Jazz b.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to use my neck pickup for playing leads, and not only clean stuff. It does work for dropping the volume and staying clean, but I would like a bit more output. I didn't specify what roles the pickups played previously, so sorry for not clarifying. I forgot about the 5/2, I will look into that one. Thanks!

Cole
          Last edited by ColeJustesen; 10-25-2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

A 59 with an STK-S4 would be my choice. They should be pretty close in volume, and as 2 very dynamic pickups, they would be great for many kinds of music.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A 5/2 in the neck with a 59 b would have been my second recommendation.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for input everyone! I will look into them. I have an email out to Rio Grande pickups to see what they sound recommend from their catalog too. I have never played the STK-S4; how close to the traditional single coil do they sound?

Cole

Comment

Originally posted by ColeJustesen View Post
                  Thanks for input everyone! I will look into them. I have an email out to Rio Grande pickups to see what they sound recommend from their catalog too. I have never played the STK-S4; how close to the traditional single coil do they sound?

Cole
                  Very close. They are a little louder, a little rounder, and dead quiet. My #1 choice when I want a single coil sound.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have both STK-S4 (neck) and STK-S7 (bridge) in a LTD ST-213 (Fender Strat clone), dummy middle. Really like them, a bit more output than regular Strat singe-coils IMO, a very well balanced set sound wise and volume wise, more modern than vintage IMO.
                    Before that, I had the STK-S7 in the neck with a Screamin Demon in the bridge. The STK-S7 was too dark for me in the neck compared to other guitars I have. The output was also to much for the Screamin Demon, which is a moderate output and very bright. Might be a better match for the 59 bridge (never had one so cannot comment) but the STK-S7 is definitely not what I want in the neck, too dark and too strong for me YMMV. But almost the perfect bridge single-coil.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                      I did this and in my strat copy used a cool rails with a patb-3...but neither was what I was after:
                      That's interesting, because that sounds like a killer combo. To each his own, I guess.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      A 59 with an STK-S4 would be my choice. They should be pretty close in volume, and as 2 very dynamic pickups, they would be great for many kinds of music.
                      That sounds good too, but I might substitute the Perpetual Burn for the 59. Again . . . different strokes.

Comment

I’d go for a Pearly Gates bridge with a mag swap for extra kick - A6 or A8 depending on the guitar - and an SLL-6 in the neck

I love the wind of the Pearly, and a mag swap can let it dive head first into more modern sounds without shaking off its vintage PAF roots

To me, the classic strat neck pickup is just lovely, and the SSL-6 captures that tone wonderfully, while also having the extra output to keep up with a hot humbucker

You all seem to like the ‘59. I have one laying around, and put an A3 in it when I put it in the neck. I wonder how well it would handle an A6 or 8 in the bridge.... thanks for inspiring more tone chasing, SD community....
                        Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                        Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                        Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                        Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                        Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                        Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                        Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                        Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                        Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                        PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That's interesting, because that sounds like a killer combo. To each his own, I guess.

That sounds good too, but I might substitute the Perpetual Burn for the 59. Again . . . different strokes.
                          I generally prefer strat neck pickups to humbuckers so I missed the extra highend with the cool rails.

I really like a lot about the trembucker, but not the fact that it's scooped as I was really after something with more mids. Funny you should mention the perpetual burn as that most likely would have been more in line with what I was after.

The trembucker / cool rails combo would probably a perfect combo for an Iron Maiden covers band for example.

Comment

Yeah. The CR definitely isn't the traditional Strat chime. But it does have it's own "spanky" charm.

Edit: Little blast from the past. Here's my Strat, with 3 CR's and a cheap drum machine. Hope this works.

Cheap drum machine with a Stratocaster with three Seymour Duncan Cool Rails pickups.
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-26-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

'59 - S4 is a solid recommendation although I prefer PG or PG+ in the bridge. S4 is very close to traditional single coil, while S7 is a hot vintage pickup which I personally like for smokier sound in the neck. I'd pair it with Screamin' Demon or '59/Custom Hybrid. Some people pair it with JB.

Comment

Working...
                              X