banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickups would you choose for an H/S setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    Custom Custom / Cool Rails / 500K volume / 3-way toggle:

That's a really versatile combo, covering a wide swath of frequencies.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ColeJustesen View Post
      I have a GJ2 Arete that utilizes a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I actually really like the sound of the stock pickups, however there is a volume disparity between the two. I was thinking of swapping out the neck pickup for a stacked single coil to help match levels. That said I am not sure which one would be the best. I predominantly play rock style music, so I need something that can do gain and cleans well.

My guitar is a sapele body and neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The bridge humbucker reminds me of a Duncan '59 volume and sound wise. I was looking at the STK-S4 or the STK-S7, but not sure which would match the best. I think I like the sound of the STK-S7 more than the STK-S4. If I wanted to change the humbucker to match the STK-S7 best, what humbucker would match it the best. What do you all suggest? Maybe a Custom/STK-S7 set?

Cole
      Off-topic and this thread is old as hell now, but I want to hear more about that Arete. How do you like it?

Comment

STK-S6 ?? It workd for me with an OEM version of the Paf Pro
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I have a Nazgul paired with a DiMarzio SDS-1 on my Strat.

The SDS-1 I'm not in love with, honestly, but if there's something it does well is it sounds nice clean without being puny, weak, and thin like a regular single coil.

The SDS-1 is supposed to sound P90-esque, if that's what you want.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-24-2024, 06:20 PM.

Comment

For an HS setup, I'd go for a dimarzio mo'joe/fred and a Satch track.

They are essentially brighter or more harmonic classic style pickups.
            They also are quite surprising when you roll off the volume with a treble bleed.
            It was when I discovered this aspect that I really fell in love.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I know that this is kind of blasphemous, but is the volume disparity really that much of a deal breaker? If you play mostly rock, won't you tend to dwell in your bridge pickup? Then switch to the neck for clean playing? If that's the case, the volume drop could work in your favor. Especially if you play into an amp at the edge of breakup.
              But to otherwise answer your question, I think that I would use a 5/2 in the neck paired with a Jazz b.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
              Why would you switch to the neck for clean? If you're playing rock or metal, both pickups have distortion and gain. You don't play rock and metal clean.

Comment

My favorite setup. My favorite H/S pairing right now is a Crazy 8 with a Cool Rails.
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
                X