banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickups would you choose for an H/S setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep listening to demos of the S4 and I think that it might be too Strat sounding for what I want. I think of the stacked options, the S7 is my preferred neck sound. I have it on another guitar, and I know I love the way it sounds there. I really like the sound I am hearing from the PGs too, but I am doubting the S7 would work with that pickup. Besides the aforementioned Screamin' Demon and '59/Custom, what other pickups would work... Could the Custom match?

Thanks for all the information everyone!

Cole
    Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Volume wise, it matches JB. I don't see why it won't work with Custom.

Comment

Went Custom5 / Lil'59 on my ESP LTD MH-1000HS. The Lil'59 does series / parallel wiring.

Perfect set for the tones I want out of that axe. Clearly the better option than the stock Pegasus / Hot Rails it came with.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
          Went Custom5 / Lil'59 on my ESP LTD MH-1000HS. The Lil'59 does series / parallel wiring.

Perfect set for the tones I want out of that axe. Clearly the better option than the stock Pegasus / Hot Rails it came with.
          That sounds like a great setup, too. What's the sound difference between the Little 59 in series or parallel?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That DOES sound like a cool setup. And, you can try three different bridge pups with a simple mag swap.

Comment

I used to be a Duncan dealer and tried every combo of a single coil sized neck pickup and full sized bridge humbucker I could think of.

I gave up.

For me, that "perfect" combo doesn't exist.

I like guitars with a pair of humbuckers or guitars with two or three single coils.

Anything else doesn't sound good enough for me and is too much of a compromise.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Generally, I think the HS combo is a tough one. There is always a compromise between balance and output, where the perfect single coil is quieter than a normal humbucker.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is one of those things that is SO subjective. To me, the "standard" is either HH, (aka, Les Paul), or SSS, (aka, Stratocaster). Of course, a Tele is also pretty standard. My favorite Tele is SH. A Jerry Donahue in the bridge, with a full humbucker in the neck. I think it's a 59 or A2 Pro. Middle position of the 3-way splits the humbucker, and it works/sounds great.

There's a lot of fun things you can do with HS when you do a non-standard single in the neck. Like HR's, CR's, VR's, Duck's, etc. Stacks and STK's. It's a fun road.

And I'd love to try that Parallel Axis single in there sometime. I bet a PATB-1b and Parallel Axis single stack could be sweet.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-29-2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColeJustesen View Post
                    I have a GJ2 Arete that utilizes a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I actually really like the sound of the stock pickups, however there is a volume disparity between the two. I was thinking of swapping out the neck pickup for a stacked single coil to help match levels. That said I am not sure which one would be the best. I predominantly play rock style music, so I need something that can do gain and cleans well.

My guitar is a sapele body and neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The bridge humbucker reminds me of a Duncan '59 volume and sound wise. I was looking at the STK-S4 or the STK-S7, but not sure which would match the best. I think I like the sound of the STK-S7 more than the STK-S4. If I wanted to change the humbucker to match the STK-S7 best, what humbucker would match it the best. What do you all suggest? Maybe a Custom/STK-S7 set?

Cole
                    I'd be playing with pickup and polepiece height to equal out the volume before ripping out pickups that I like. You'll have to do all this pickup tweaking with a new set anyways, so why not get weird with height adjustments first? I've had good success with lowering pickups as far as they'll go, and then raising polepieces up almost a full inch. Get weird!
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I've had a few HS setups. The best one was Brobucker in the bridge and APS-2 in the neck. Really good setup.

If I was to do one today, probably Custom Custom, Perpetual Burn or Screamin' Demon with a STK-S7 in the neck.

Comment

Part of the problem is that singles tend to sound best with 250K volume pots and humbuckers tend to sound best with 500K volume pots.

I think if I owned a guitar already routed for a neck single size pickup and a bridge full size humbucker I'd go for something like a bridge Antiquity HB and for the neck a Little 59.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

i think the stks4/59b combo with 250k pots would be good. stks6/custom with 500k pots would be good for a higher output alternative

Comment

IME, The Brobucker sounded great with a 250k volume when I had that setup. So does the Screamin' Demon. Both a great candidates to match with a neck single-coil.

Another option is use a 500K volume put but toss a 470K resistor in parallel with the pickup to ground to make it "see" 250K. The middle and neck positions on the switch see roughly 250K but the bridge only sees 500K. Or do the George Lynch trick and uses a push/push pot to switch between the two, also with that same resistor in place for the neck pickup.
                            Last edited by ErikH; 10-29-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I feel like using single sized humbucker defeats the purpose of an HS setup.
                              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
                                I feel like using single sized humbucker defeats the purpose of an HS setup.
                                You walked into this one.

What's the purpose of an HS setup?

Comment

Working...
                                X