banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three Seymour Duncan Pickups...Is this the most versatile guitar of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Seymour Duncan Pickups...Is this the most versatile guitar of all time?

Maybe! https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...son-telecaster
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Definitely one of the most recorded guitars of all time.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

All I hear is twang and clank. How is that versatile? Lol.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

More pickups =/= more versatile. I am finding myself more and more drawn to the 2 pickup setup (but 3 pickup look). Two great PAF's or heck, even a PATB3/PATB1n setup, and I'm a happy camper for 99% of my tonal needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          All I hear is twang and clank. How is that versatile? Lol.
          Brent's guitar is heard on more recordings and #1 sellers than anything you own...that's for sure. Maybe heard on more hits than any guitar in history.

Not a clank to be heard:

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            More pickups =/= more versatile. I am finding myself more and more drawn to the 2 pickup setup (but 3 pickup look). Two great PAF's or heck, even a PATB3/PATB1n setup, and I'm a happy camper for 99% of my tonal needs.
            Unless you want a middle pickup combined with the neck or bridge sound. Lots of people do, me included. Not always of course.

Lots of people use the middle pickup by itself too. Jimmie Vaughan being one. Jeff Beck being another. I don't but they do.

I've wanted a guitar with a B string bender ever since seeing Clarence White with the Byrds 50 years ago.

Comment

Well, in his hands, it certainly is. But I don't think most people buying that guitar have his skill set. I think the Ernie Ball Steve Morse model is a close contender for stock signature models that are versatile. But I suspect very few people can play all styles as well as Steve, either.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Well, in his hands, it certainly is. But I don't think most people buying that guitar have his skill set. I think the Ernie Ball Steve Morse model is a close contender for stock signature models that are versatile. But I suspect very few people can play all styles as well as Steve, either.
                True enough.

The Morse guitar doesn't have a B string bender tho.

And it's filled with Dimarzios.

Joking about the Dimarzios. I like the Dimarzios in my Ernie Ball Axis.

But they're the first Dimarzios I've really liked.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

True enough.

The Morse guitar doesn't have a B string bender tho.

And it's filled with Dimarzios.

Joking about the Dimarzios. I like the Dimarzios in my Ernie Ball Axis.

But they're the first Dimarzios I've really liked.
                  You know, I love all of Steve's tones, but his pickups are very strange. Not only do they not give you anything close to his sound, they sound positively terrible in most guitars.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Check out this interview with Brent about what it's like to be a first call session guy in Nashville.

Comment

I thought Tommy Tedesco's was the most recorded Tele of all time?

Might be versatile, but sure is ugly.

Hard to say it's "most" versatile. There are lots of versatile guitars. Morse, James Burton Tele, Page LP, Townshend LP, Townshend Strat, Clapton Strat, Gilmore Strat, Les Paul Personal / Pro, G&L CLF research models, many super strats, like HSH with all kinds of split wire options, are all quite versatile; some have options that are not always useful, but sure, versatile.

Comment

no disrespect to you or brent, he has played on more hits than i could dream of, but it's 99% country music.
                        Quality riffs in about a minute...
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I do think that set up, only with a hum in the bridge, is the most versatile. That can probably play anything. Hum bridge, single middle, mini neck.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I do think that set up, only with a hum in the bridge, is the most versatile. That can probably play anything. Hum bridge, single middle, mini neck.
                            All three pickups are humbuckers in the Brent Mason Tele. The bridge is a Vintage Stack and the middle is a Hot Stack.

A paf style humbucker in the bridge will prevent it from sounding like a Tele though.

At about the 9 minute mark of that interview I posted Brent plays some jazzy stuff and the tone is everything I could ask for. Of course he really knows his way around the fingerboard and has a great touch. That's the ticket to getting a great tone: having a great touch and knowing your way around so you're not fumbling and having to think too much.
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-27-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Not at all.

HSS or HSH with coil taps would be the thing, hot bridge bucker and vintage stuff in middle and neck
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X