banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a change Any suggestions for my les Paul’s ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a change Any suggestions for my les Paul’s ?

So I got a les paul classic gold top I wanna keep in e standard and play rock and classic rock on and I got a les Paul custom zakk wylde (refinished) that has no pickups ... it gonna tune it to Eb to play 90s rock and some metal ... I thought maybe a 59 set for the classic .... JB for the bridge of the custom not sure on a neck pickup yet ... I also toyed with the idea of an emg 57 for the bridge .... I’m kind of new to pickups and I’m not 100% what to get

i think the 59 set is a great place to start for the gold top. a jazz/jb set for the custom would be a fine choice for rock and metal. a custom is another kick ass bridge pup in a les paul

Comment

Gorgeous guitar, dang. My suggestion is to send it to me for extensive testing

One of them should get at least a P90 sized humbucker in the neck. AT LEAST. If you've got two LPs, this is a great way to expand your tonal palette and allow different playing styles to shine. One guitar with P90s and one with overwound PAFs would rock. Or PAF bridge + P90 neck for one and slamming high output pickups for the other.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

A few options come to mind
        Pearly Gates set (bright top end, thick everything else)
        Slash set (thick, some chime)
        Whole Lotta Humbucker set (like an improved 59 set, softened top end, sounds like a 'produced' rock guitar)
        Custom / Jazz (has some heat, some top end to work with, work the volume and tone, can do anything rock/classic rock)

Comment

Does anybody know anything about pickup covers I have a 59 neck pickup coming in but I kinda like the look of the chrome it’s not a make or break though

Comment

These are great replies thanks everybody ! I might refinish the les Paul custom in white and have a black bridge pickup and a gold covered neck pickup and then chrome on the les Paul gold top I’m not too particular but I just thought it could look really cool

Comment

I checked the website and I couldnt get a slash set but I definitely looked at the pearly gates longingly and it kind of on the fence between jb and the custom both sound like great options

Comment

covers can be put on an uncovered pup if you so choose

Comment

Does it affect the sound ??

Comment

I’ve narrowed it down a little bit but looking to fill In these blanks hahah
                    Wylde

Bridge Seymour Duncan custom or JB *undecided *

Neck ?????

Gibson les Paul classic

Bridge ????

59 in the neck

Comment

59 in the neck ........ for the bridge,
                      the SH5 Custom will work nicely.

You might consider the 59 /Custom hybrid. This pickup has the best of the 59
                      and the Custom ..... both are awesome pickups and combined !!!!! there is synergy in the combination ........

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                      And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                        Gorgeous guitar, dang. My suggestion is to send it to me for extensive testing

One of them should get at least a P90 sized humbucker in the neck. AT LEAST. If you've got two LPs, this is a great way to expand your tonal palette and allow different playing styles to shine. One guitar with P90s and one with overwound PAFs would rock. Or PAF bridge + P90 neck for one and slamming high output pickups for the other.
                        That's what I was going to say about the P90 but thought people would get mad at me. I second this.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 10-30-2020, 05:49 PM.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Clint, there nothing wrong about pairing a P90 with a humbucker. I have several LPs with humbuckers, minihums and P90s. And this combo is about the best of both worlds with the exception of the both on, which suffers a bit compared to middle position on P90s.
                          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

IME the best P90s sound much like the best of the vintage PAF types. In fact, of the readily-available models now, I consider a Phat Cat one of the best "PAF" neck pickup sounds I've tried.

Comment

I'd love a LP with a soapbar P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. For that I'd go vintage P90 and Custom Custom. In fact, for the LP Classic, I'd go Custom Custom. That's me though.

Comment

Working...
                              X