banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hot is the P-rails neck? What goes well with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot is the P-rails neck? What goes well with it?

How hot is the P-rails neck?
    If I was to use a regular humbucker in the bridge, what would match well?
    Would a 498t keep up? Or would a SH14 Custom5 work better?
    What would be a good noiseless middle pickup?
    Stk-S4? S7? S6? S9? Stk-s2? Other?

If I understand correctly the neck P-rails is RWRP such that bridge and neck rails together, or bridge and neck p-90s together will be hum canceling.
    If one were to use two "neck" P-rails at neck and bridge, you could still get hum canceling with bridge P-90/neck rail, and bridge rail/neck P-90 correct?
    Would this be able to be reasonably well balanced between neck and bridge?
    Or do we think it's necessary to use the hotter bridge model?
    How hot is the P-rails "bridge" model relative to some other humbuckers?

Strat style HSH.
    Last edited by matt239; 11-02-2020, 09:30 PM.

Well, the neck P-Rails in series is pretty hot, and will keep up with pretty much any bridge pickup out there. However, the key to the P-Rails is using the different combinations of those coils. The Rail or the P90 isn't super hot by themselves, and yet those are probably the 'favorites' of the sounds you have available. Both coils in parallel is also a great sound, but not really hot, so you sort of give up balanced volume when you choose the P-Rails.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks. From what clips/videos I've heard, I really love the tone of the rail and the p-90, in the P-rails.
      And I'm really pleased with the neck P-rails humbucker sound.
      I'm considering not using a "bridge" P-rails in the bridge. The rail and p-90 are perfect, but the bridge P-rails humbucker is a bit midrangey for me.
      To be clear, it's a GORGEOUS humbucker sound! But my go-to bridge humbucker sound is a little flatter and darker, like a 498t.
      I also like Custom 5. So I just have to decide for the bridge: "bridge" P-rails, "neck" P-rails, 498t, Custom 5, or other.
      I like all the Duncan STK Stack Strat pickups a lot, so it's a question of choosing one for the middle that will play well with the neck and bridge.

Comment

I used to have a prails n/prails n set in a semi-hollow. The normal p rails b was too hot for what I wanted in that guitar. I did change magnets though so the bridge was A8/A5 and the neck was A5/A2. In both cases the stronger magnet on both the rail and p90 coils.

I liked that set up for a while, but that guitar is now seth neck and A2 brobucker bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by matt239 View Post
          Thanks. From what clips/videos I've heard, I really love the tone of the rail and the p-90, in the P-rails.
          And I'm really pleased with the neck P-rails humbucker sound.
          I'm considering not using a "bridge" P-rails in the bridge. The rail and p-90 are perfect, but the bridge P-rails humbucker is a bit midrangey for me.
          To be clear, it's a GORGEOUS humbucker sound! But my go-to bridge humbucker sound is a little flatter and darker, like a 498t.
          I also like Custom 5. So I just have to decide for the bridge: "bridge" P-rails, "neck" P-rails, 498t, Custom 5, or other.
          I like all the Duncan STK Stack Strat pickups a lot, so it's a question of choosing one for the middle that will play well with the neck and bridge.
          The Custom 5 is like the eq opposite of the P-Rails in series. There are virtually no mids there at all. I think many who have P-Rails simply don't use the series setting much. It is there if you need it, but it really isn't the best sound in the pickup.

Comment

The cooler of the two P Rails is an upper-medium output humbucker in series. It sounds fine in the bridge position, but it's thick in the neck. It needs to be paired with a very hot bridge pickup, so the same amp settings work on both pickups...or you just never orient it in series mode.

As a P90 only, it's a wonderful regular output "vintage" sound that works great in bridge or neck position. The rail pickup is nice too, but only in the neck position. It's very weak in the bridge position.

I don't like it in parallel mode in either position.

I use a set of two cool P Rails, and I normally have them both on P90 mode. I put the bridge one in series occasionally, if I want a warmer sound from the bridge pickup. And I occasionally put the neck one on rail only, when I want a thinner neck sound. In short: 1) neck cool model: P90 only or rail only, and 2) bridge cool model: P90 only or series coils only. I don't use any of the other available P-Rails options. I originally had them in Triple Shots, with all options available. But I realized I only ever used the options I named, and I found the Triple Shots ugly and cumbersome to use. I pulled them, and keep them in a drawer for trying out different wiring options on new pickups. Once I settle on the sounds I like, I wire them to normal switches, and the Triple Shots go back in the drawer until next time.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Y'all have Any thoughts on a middle pickup?

Comment

I'd say an STK-S4 for a great, quiet sound, but what do you want out of a middle pickup? Is volume balance more important than tone, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I'd say an STK-S4 for a great, quiet sound, but what do you want out of a middle pickup? Is volume balance more important than tone, or what?
                  I like a fairly hot middle pickup. Having the volume roughly match is good.
                  - I think a lot of folks end up not using their middle, because they choose it for "single coil sound," and then it's really anemic at the same amp settings, compared to the bridge and neck pickups.
                  I have to admit though, that I also use 2 and 4 positions much more than middle alone.
                  I'm comfortable with a beefy, not-precisely-strat-like 2 and 4 sound. I find it still always kind of suggests that sound, even if it's hotter and darker.

Comment

500k pots? ssl6 if you want a single coil. stks6 if you want humcancelling. if you are using 250k pots, the prails neck is going to be pretty dark

Comment

I like a fairly hot middle pickup. Having the volume roughly match is good.
                      - I think a lot of folks end up not using their middle, because they choose it for "single coil sound," and then it's really anemic at the same amp settings, compared to the bridge and neck pickups.
                      I have to admit though, that I also use 2 and 4 positions much more than middle alone.
                      I'm comfortable with a beefy, not-precisely-strat-like 2 and 4 sound. I find it still always kind of suggests that sound, even if it's hotter and darker.
                      Check out the STK-S6 or the STK-S7. Neither are particularly Stratty, but the volumes should balance, and you would get a usable 2 & 4 sound, if not particularly clucky. Either of these 2 sound great with gain, though.

Comment

How hot is the P-rails neck?
                        If I was to use a regular humbucker in the bridge, what would match well?
                        Would a 498t keep up? Or would a SH14 Custom5 work better?
                        What would be a good noiseless middle pickup?
                        Stk-S4? S7? S6? S9? Stk-s2? Other?

If I understand correctly the neck P-rails is RWRP such that bridge and neck rails together, or bridge and neck p-90s together will be hum canceling.
                        If one were to use two "neck" P-rails at neck and bridge, you could still get hum canceling with bridge P-90/neck rail, and bridge rail/neck P-90 correct?
                        Would this be able to be reasonably well balanced between neck and bridge?
                        Or do we think it's necessary to use the hotter bridge model?
                        How hot is the P-rails "bridge" model relative to some other humbuckers?

Strat style HSH.
                        Just confirming your understandings that the Neck Prail is setup as RWRP, and so yes the "like" coils btw Neck and Bridge will be hum-cancwling when combined, but "unlike" coil# e.g. 1 Rail + 1 P90 will not be hum-canceling.

Also, regarding how hot the Bridge PRail pup is, feedback from members on the forum over the years indicate that In Series is too hot. More than a few have said they found In Parallel mode a great substitute, or alternatively, using a 2nd Neck Prail pup in the Bridge position instead.
                        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

the series mode of the prails is thick. its taking a p90 and putting it in series with another coil, albeit a smaller coil, but its thick. its not bad but it doesnt sound like a paf at all. parallel sounds better clean than series imo. to me the p90 sound is the best and the others are usable other options

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            the series mode of the prails is thick. its taking a p90 and putting it in series with another coil, albeit a smaller coil, but its thick. its not bad but it doesnt sound like a paf at all. parallel sounds better clean than series imo. to me the p90 sound is the best and the others are usable other options
                            I'm happy with hotter and darker than PAF.
                            The neck P-rails souds lovely to me in series humbucking mode in every demo I've heard.
                            I actually quite like the bridge P-rails series humbucker sound too, I'm just trying to decide if it's "my sound." I typically go for something less mid-pushed and more "scooped," like the 498t or Custom 5. - Of course then I don't get the rails or p-90.
                            I could do a partial split at the bridge, I bet that would work very well with the custom 5.

Basically I'm sure the P-rails bridge will sound great at the bridge, but I don't know if I can quite coax my typical bridge humbucker sound out of it.
                            Maybe I could just roll back the volume and tone controls a bit, to look for that sound when I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              500k pots? ssl6 if you want a single coil. stks6 if you want humcancelling. if you are using 250k pots, the prails neck is going to be pretty dark
                              The controls will be 500k.

Comment

Working...
                              X