Pearly Gates Plus vs 59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates Plus vs 59

I have just put a Pearly Gates in a Les Paul. I have a 59 Bridge in another Les Paul. I love the extra clarity with the Pearly Gates but I really miss the Alnico 5 thud from the 59. And I thought there would have been more treble from the Pearly Gates compared to the 59 but not as much as expected. I have done so many magnet swaps lately, I'm trying to avoid another so regarding the two...

How similar are the winds on the Pearly Gates and 59? Outputs are very close...

Will the Alnico 5 in the Pearly Gates (Pearly Gates Plus) make it how similar to a 59? I want to keep that extra clarity from the PG but will I lose that with an Alnico 5 magnet?

Cheers friends

the a5 in the pg will push it closer to the 59 but itll still be different, give it a try

Comment

The A5 is only one of the differences. The Plus has more wire around there, too. I always thought the PG/PG+ has more treble and less bass than a 59.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Putting A5 into PG doesn't make it PG+. But I believe doing so would get you in the ballpark. And then some. PG with A5 would have less mid than PG+ that has more turns in its winding. I'd say PG+ is '59 with attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The A5 is only one of the differences. The Plus has more wire around there, too. I always thought the PG/PG+ has more treble and less bass than a 59.
          That's about right with the treble and bass. How similar are the winds between a standard Pearly Gates and a 59?

I'm chasing something maybe a little hotter than a Pearly Gates plus which is 8.65k but around 9k. Does that exist?

Comment

WLH is around 8.8k. More low end with attenuated high than PG+. Less clarity too. And there's Brobucker.

Comment

Yes, the closest might be the Whole Lotta Humbucker set.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+1 on WLH as an improved 59 or softened Pearly Gates.

IME Pearly Gates should be brighter than both. If it's not, it could be the guitar itself and mag swaps alone won't change that.

Comment

Can you peeps not hear that the PGs are wound with the tone character of a strat while the 59s are wound with the tone character of a Gibson?
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    Can you peeps not hear that the PGs are wound with the tone character of a strat . . .
                    I don't hear that at all. I hear PG's as an "in-yur-face" Les Paul. I don't hear Strat in there anywhere. YMMV.

Comment

WAT
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

i hear the 59 as brighter and scooped with a bigger, tighter bottom than the stock pg which has a bigger upper mid peak which some people hear as "brightness" similar to how some people say the jb is bright. the shape of the eq curve for the pg and jb seems similar to me in some ways.

pgs wound with the character of a strat, 59s wound with the character of a lp? WAT?!?!? pearly gates = les paul. or '39 packard

Comment

The PG+ was voiced for the bridge position of a Fender Lonestar Strat. Wasn't designed for Les Pauls, although it might sound fine in one.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

the pg+ was "designed" for a strat bridge yes. few more turns and the a5 magnet per fenders request for a pup that matched the texas specials. ive never liked the pg+ very much. ive been careful to say pg, not pg+ in my posts

Comment

Sorry. My comment was about the PG. I don't know about the PG+.

Comment

Working...
                              X