Can we talk about the Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk about the Custom?

The C5 and CC get a fair amount of discussion. I don't see the ceramic brother getting much attention. For those who use it, what do you have it in, and what kind of music do you play? How do you characterize it? I can't remember if I've ever tried one.

its a great rock pup. it can cover a fair amount of ground though its not the best clean tone through most amps. aggressive without being overbearing

Comment

The standard hard rock pickup in an LP for me, particularly the LP Custom. But it works well in many other guitars where you want a great hard rock sound without the upper mids of the JB.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

God, I loved the Custom I had in a LP copy. It was perfect for copping Bad Religion tones.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

It's an excellent hard rock to early metal pickup, and it'll easily do Megadeth. The only reason it's no longer in my LP is because I wanted to go slightly lower output and because eventually the ceramic top end in any pickup grates on me, but it pushes the amp just the right amount for hard rock tones and holds up very well under high gain. I hear firm low end and forward mids with a touch of sizzle on the top end.

Comment

Had it in an LP for a while. Sounded like a loud 59 with the bright top end of a Pearly Gates/Jazz. Very usable with the volume and tone, lots of range. Very clear/clean and even, vs say a Distortion which was a little flabby/fuzzy in the bass by comparison (to me.) I actually prefer it over the Custom Custom, though the CC has it's place for certain music and certain guitars. I'm able to play much more music with a straight Custom.

Comment

I put one in my LP and liked it. It took a little getting used to as it had more top end sizzle than the pickup I had previously in it. (Fokin Hot Breeze).
              As mentioned it’s a great hard rock pickup that has a taste of a PAF-ish element.
              After a couple of months I found I wanted less of that sizzle and I put an A8 mag in it.
              I liked this swap much better and used it for a time.
              Recently a clip was posted here of the CC in a LP and I was really digging what I heard so just last weekend (? Maybe the weekend before) I put a RC A2 in it and so far I absolutely love it. Granted it’s still the honeymoon phase but I’ve had the chance to play it in a band situation and it absolutely shone.
              Right now the CC is my absolute favorite pickup that I’ve ever used.

Comment

Am I interpreting everyone's comments correctly? You like it for a while, then you take it out? That's not necessarily a bad thing, just curious. I guess I need to try it for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  its a great rock pup. it can cover a fair amount of ground though its not the best clean tone through most amps. aggressive without being overbearing
                  That's how I hear it too. To me, it's not a great blues pickup . It lacks sweetness. But for metallic aggressive rock it's cool.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

That's how I hear it too. To me, it's not a great blues pickup . It lacks sweetness. But for metallic aggressive rock it's cool.
                    Thanks Lew. Probably not my cup-'o- tea. But I'm going to try it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Am I interpreting everyone's comments correctly? You like it for a while, then you take it out? That's not necessarily a bad thing, just curious. I guess I need to try it for myself.
                      That's what happened to me. I used it for a while then wanted something that allowed me to shape my tone with my right hand picking and left hand vibrato and squeeze those notes out more than the Custom with its ceramic magnet allowed me to do.
                      Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-04-2020, 07:21 PM.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        I love the wind, it’s just the magnet that I tweaked. It still in my guitar, just in the Custom Custom version.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I love the wind, it’s just the magnet that I tweaked. It still in my guitar, just in the Custom Custom version.
                          My point exactly. Does anyone like the ceramic mag?

I'm not saying they don't, I just wonder who does.

Comment

I loved it. Never soured on it. Sold that guitar to pay rent, back when I was poor.

And fwiw, it could do more than just loud and distorted. It was naturally VERY compressed, which also made it work for jangly cleans, so long as I ran it into a preamp section that was able to withstand the output without driving.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Instant early EVH to my ears. And great for heavier sounding music. I won't fully rely on it for clean, useable yet not inspiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X