Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Black Winter love

I know, I'm probably one of the biggest BW cultists here. But two things:

1. I forgot how sweet the BWN sounds under high gain. Playing some major pentatonic lead over backing track tonight, and it just sounds super. Creamy when I need it to be, plenty of bite on the highs without being shrill.

2. I'm impressed with how well the BWB sounds split under high gain. I use it in full hum mode a ton for various hard rock / metal applications, and split for funk and blues, but I hadn't really tried to play heavy music with it in split mode. And damn, there is little if any volume loss when split and it's got a snarl to it I didn't expect. Hysteria-era Def Leppard sounds fantastic on a split Winter bridge.

That is all.

Try the bridge in parallel if you want to keep it humbucking.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

All the BW talk is making me want to try them in mahogany LTD or my Iceman
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
        All the BW talk is making me want to try them in mahogany LTD or my Iceman
        You should! I've got them in a mahogany Les Paul and they sound excellent and massive.

Comment

Yeah, not digging the C5 in the LTD but do love the Distortion in the Iceman. How different or similar is rhe DD and the BW
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Yeah, not digging the C5 in the LTD but do love the Distortion in the Iceman. How different or similar is rhe DD and the BW
            Well, the Black Winters are all about the mids, so they differ pretty dramatically from the C5 right off the bat (and oddly, I have the C5 in an LTD too and am not really digging it at the moment -- hmmm). Very thick and full, but without the upper-mid hump that some dislike in the JB or the Nazgul. There's also an extra level of grind, for want of a better word, to the Winter bridge that I really like. It's sharp and cutting but not shrill. I've only played Distortions a few times in my life, so I can't speak to how the Winters differ from them.

Comment

I think that the Distortion is definitely more old school. Lots of sizzle and thump to go with the mids.

Comment

Hmmmm I may really have to take a look at the BW, like my pus thick and full (like my women) I have a Nazgul in my 7 string and yeah that upper mid spike is not doing it for me. It only sounds good under heavy gain.

If the BW behaves closer to the DD than the C5 or Nazgul, Id be a happy camper
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

"It only sounds good under high gain."
                  Well if that's your bridge pickup, use it for just that.
                  Your neck pickup can do the cleans, can't it?

Comment

The Black Winter is tighter, hotter, and has more bite rather than sizzle. Not the say the Distortion is loose or low output, but the Black Winter is kinda like a modernized DD.

It has a very bold an fast low-end that's very controlled and not overly emphatic, but it's not thin by any means. It's got very even mids with a hint of twang/clang that gives it lots of character. The top-end is present and balanced, but the sonic signature of the BW is more focused rather than wide.

I love the Black Winters. They're my favorite passive pickup set for what I play.
                    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-05-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

It really is a remarkable pickup that sounds equally good with a ton of distortion as well as clean. For those that need slight compression over a huge range of gain, that neck BW is the one.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Has anyone been able to compare the BW to the Perpetual Burn? The PB is one of my current favorites. I wonder how the BW compares?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          The Black Winter is tighter, hotter, and has more bite rather than sizzle. Not the say the Distortion is loose or low output, but the Black Winter is kinda like a modernized DD.

It has a very bold an fast low-end that's very controlled and not overly emphatic, but it's not thin by any means. It's got very even mids with a hint of twang/clang that gives it lots of character. The top-end is present and balanced, but the sonic signature of the BW is more focused rather than wide.

I love the Black Winters. They're my favorite passive pickup set for what I play.
                          Exactly. I love Black Winters

Comment

Hopefully last question, from what Ive heard its a warmer vs brighter pickup?
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Neither the 'Winter nor the Distortion are warm. I'd say both are bright, but each have a different kind of brightness. The Distortion is sizzly and the Black Winter is bitey. Both a pretty grindy and cutting. JMO.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-06-2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X