No announcement yet.

Unmatched HB bobbin windings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't take a lot of coil asymmetry to help open up the highs on a humbucker.
    I'm not a winder but my impression is that an offset of 4-5% is not too uncommon.

Burstbuckers have a screw coil that's wound about 4% hotter than their slug coil.
    I found the BB2 fairly harsh at the bridge in a bright sounding LesPaul, but they sound vintage-crisp in many guitars.

Later, Gibson released the MHS pickups with the slug coil hotter instead, for similarly open character but a different tone profile.
    The bridge pickup on these is noticeably warmer, and the neck is very vintagey with an A3 magnet like the Custombuckers have.

Gibson makes another MHS set more like early-60s "patent number" pickups, with symmetrical coils & short A5 magnets.
    These are called MHS II to differentiate them from the earlier model, now known as the MHS I set.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

dimarzios patent was for two coils with nominally the same # of turns but different wire size, so 5500 turns of #42 on one coil and 5500 #43 on the other. not sure what the turn count is on the hybrid

Comment

Working...
      X