Dimarzio HS-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio HS-2

I have never played one but was curious because it is claimed to have a "Humbucking" mode on the website. Has anyone experienced using this pickup before? I like the SSL-5s in my Strat and don't plan on changing them but I have never heard of a "Humbucking" mode on a single coil.

Originally posted by Guitarmusic View Post
    I have never played one but was curious because it is claimed to have a "Humbucking" mode on the website. Has anyone experienced using this pickup before? I like the SSL-5s in my Strat and don't plan on changing them but I have never heard of a "Humbucking" mode on a single coil.
    The HS-2 is very low output despite having a high DC resistance. There are two stacked coils wound in opposite directions around the same rod magnets which makes them humbucking. The design philosophy was to design a pickup with vintage output level that could handle high volume/distortion but still retain good definition. They feel very different than a real single coil and react differently to volume and distortion. The SSL-5 is designed not to clank and sound sludgy with high volume/distortion but it pushes an amp hard with fairly high output. While the HS-2 has low output and doesn't push an amp hard because the amp more than likely is a master volume amp that already has enough distortion and doesn't need to be pushed.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-09-2020, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is simply a 'stacked' single coil, cancelling the hum with a bottom, non-string-sensing coil.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
      X