Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help for humbucker in Modern Player Telecaster Plus

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is going to be a long post. I admittingly know just about nothing when it comes to guitar wiring, but I am attempting to finally resolve my issue with the bridge humbucker on my Modern Player Telecaster Plus. I had a guitar repair tech replace the stock humbucker with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge a few years back. I do enjoy the sound for the most part, but when I compare it to my other guitars with humbuckers, it's really bright and nasal sounding. After reading up on my tele on this forum and others, I now understand that the bridge humbucker is wired in parallel and not in series. Ideally, I want the humbucker to be in series as that's what I'm used to and the sound that I enjoy from a humbucker.

At first, I was looking to have the humbucker switch wired in series/coli split, but now I want to have the switch wired as series/parallel. I rarely use the coil split on the bridge and I can see some applications for having that nasal parallel sound. I had the coil split simply because that's how it was stock, but I never really had much use for it.

Here's a picture of the wiring in my guitar after the new JB was installed. Sorry that it's not very clear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mytelewiring.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	6027862

DPDT Switch
    Red & White wires are soldered together and to the middle right pole.
    A red wire is soldered from the bottom right pole to the back of the tone pot (ground).

Green & Bare wires are soldered together and to the back of the tone pot (in the white tube).
    Black wire is wired directly to the 5 way switch (it was soldered to a grey wire/with green shrink tube to extend it to the switch).

There's a good chance I may be confused in saying this, but shouldn't the way that it is currently wired be in series? It sure doesn't sound like a full humbucker to me though. The green/bare wires are grounded to the back of the tone pot and the black wire (hot) is wired directly to the switch. I noticed on the wiring diagram for the original pickup, the red wire (hot) was wired to a pole on the switch and then another red wire was wired from the same pole to the 5 way switch. Is that an issue?

Since then, I switched the Green and Black wires as I read on the Seymour Duncan website that those 2 wires have to be switched if the middle pickup is a Fender style pickup (my middle pickup is stock). Black is now soldered with the bare to the back of the tone pot and the Green is soldered to the 5 way switch (soldered to the extension/taped). I don't think I did too bad for my first time soldering. I actually notice less hum now in the bridge position since switching the wires (maybe there was a phase issue?)

So back to the series/parallel wiring for the switch, I found this diagram online. These might seem like silly questions, but if I follow this diagram, would that work in getting the humbucker to switch from series to parallel? Would I need to swap the positions of the Green and Black wires since my middle pickup is stock or would I switch all four wires? Is the black line on the bottom 2 poles simply just a normal wire connected?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hbseriesparallel.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	6027863

When I turn the tone knob all the way down on the humbucker, it completes removes any low frequencies and almost sounds like the rhythm guitars on the first Boston album (it's pretty close to Foreplay/Long Time). When I use the tone knob on the other 2 single coil pickups, it removes the higher frequencies which is what I believe it's supposed to do.

Thanks to anyone who made it this far in my post!

The switch will go from to series to split. With the switch in one position, you should have full-on series. Can you hear a major difference when you flip the switch? Try tapping gently on each coil with the switch in both positions.

Comment

I was thinking that it's already in Series/Split too with the way it's wired now. When I flip the switch, I hear a lot more noise (typical single coil hum). a little less output and a slightly brighter sound. Not sure if I know what I'm doing really, but I think I heard both coils when I tapped on them with the switch in both positions. I may have to try that again.

I did manage to get a short audio sample that hopefully can explain what I'm trying to say with how the tone knob responds to the JB. I used the USB Direct Out from my Boss Katana 50 on the lead channel + built in tube screamer to Audacity. For the first 5 seconds, the tone knob is on 10 and after 5 seconds, I rolled it down to 0. The ending was me rolling the tone knob on and off. I'm really puzzled as to why the tone knob removes pretty much all of the body of the guitar sound on the JB only. Unless this has something to do with the pickup itself?

Thanks.

Comment

I also have a Fender Modern Player Plus Tele and came into possession of a Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker. I've been researching how to wire it in for over a week and finally thought I had it all squared away in my mind. Then... I saw your post. I have a LOT of experience soldering small parts as I've been building drones for a few years now, both the micro and racing varieties. I took a look at the Tele yesterday with no real intention of making the change, but as I took it apart I figured... ah what the hell, no time like the present. I wired it exactly as you prescribed and it works flawlessly. Firstly, thanks a lot for that, as I was of a mind to wire it a bit differently. I love the new sound of the JB and the ability to switch from parallel to serial and back.

I was initially going to wire it with green to five way switch, black and ground wire to ground on the tone pot and red and white wires on the middle and bottom connectors on the two way switch... The thinking was that in one position it would have the red/white wires together as prescribed by Seymour Duncan as the standard configuration and switching it would break the connection between those wires. I thought this would get me back to coil splitting. Not being totally sure of that I kept researching.

I'm still trying to figure out why your solution works so well. It looks like with the switch up, the red and white wires are simply connected together as prescribed by Seymour Duncan, and with the switch down it shorts both out to ground. Can you explain why that appears to put the humbucker in parallel mode? I just can't wrap my head around it...

And thank you once again for pointing me in this direction as the results are far superior to my expectations... Nice!!!

-Gil

Comment

Working...
        X