banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mustaines vs Blackouts, plus pot values and taper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustaines vs Blackouts, plus pot values and taper?

I'm planning on replacing the EMG 81/85 set in my Schecter C-1 Platinum. I have the Mustaine set, (no hardware), and the Blackout set, (w/hardware). Oddly, the BO set uses the same 25k pots as the EMG's. The DM diagram shows 100k pots, but doesn't list taper. (Log or Lin.) I think I'd prefer the Dave Mustaine set because they're based on the JB/Jazz set. But the BO's would be plug-'n-play.

So:

1. How would you compare the Blackouts to the Mustaine's tone wise? (I play mostly clean. Virtually never metal.)

2. Do the Mustaine's need log or linear pots? (Or does it even matter?)

3. How might the Mustaine's react to the 25k pots that are in there?

And anything else that I haven't thought of? Thanks all.

Artie
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-10-2020, 07:44 AM.

Hey Artie,

Since you say you don't have the hardware for the Live Wires, there is the potential that you'll want to try using the CAP from the Blackout set when wiring up your tone control. Be aware that the later BO sets came with a 0.47 cap value, which will definitely be overkill for EMGs and Mustaines. I have seen suggestions on the web for cap value of up to 0.1 for the EMGs and Live Wires.... but again, that is way less than 0.47. Ok, you've been warned, lol.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks Jack. The caps I have aren't what came with it originally. They're whatever the person I bought them from used. 0.1uf, I think. But I have a good cap selection, so no prob. Also, I have one of those little "cap selector" boxes, so that I can temporarily connect it, and switch in different cap values 'til I find what works best.

BTW, the official Duncan wiring instructions for the BO's show a .047uf cap.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-10-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Thanks Jack. The caps I have aren't what came with it originally. They're whatever the person I bought them from used. 0.1uf, I think. But I have a good cap selection, so no prob. Also, I have one of those little "cap selector" boxes, so that I can temporarily connect it, and switch in different cap values 'til I find what works best.cap

BTW, the official Duncan wiring instructions for the BO's show a .047uf cap.
        I would think the Duncan wiring instructions you found mentioning 0.047uf is the outdated version. I had a set of Blackouts that must have been New Old Stock, because they had the 0.047uf valie cap. I wired it up not knowing of this issue, and was confused as to why the tone pot had no audible effect. I then researched and learned about the later change to 0.47 value. And then re-wired. 0.47 fixed the issue.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Good info. And yes, it does look old. Like an old treasure map.

Comment

Comment

Hey all . . . I'm still hoping for a Mustaine vs BO review.

Then again . . . since I own both sets, I suppose I could put them both in and review them myself.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-10-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I suggest linear pots for volume dialing while playing for cleaner tones. It's more controllable.

Comment

Thanks esandes. I'll try them first.

Comment

In my experience, the Blackouts are HOT and LOUD. Good luck playing clean with them. I'd like to hear what you think about the DM LiveWires though, mainly for curiosity's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                      In my experience, the Blackouts are HOT and LOUD. Good luck playing clean with them. I'd like to hear what you think about the DM LiveWires though, mainly for curiosity's sake.
                      I'll order the pots today, and get them in as soon as they arrive. Stay tuna-ed.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                        I suggest linear pots for volume dialing while playing for cleaner tones. It's more controllable.
                        I use linear taper pots for everything.

Comment

The .1 capacitor of the EMG is completely useless with the Blackouts and not much better with EMG. The SD wiring diagrams say a .047 capacitor is needed when it's actually a .47 capacitor. Half of SD's diagrams say one thing and half say the other and they wont fix any of them.

Comment

Yeah. Someone pointed that out in another place. I'll definitely use the .47uf. Or, I may swap in several to see what suits me.

By the way, Schecter spared no expense on the one that's in there. But I guess it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	6028425

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize that finding 100k pots w/18-tooth splined shafts would be so difficult. I can find solid shafts all day long. But I really want to keep these nice metal knobs. Their patina matches the guitar perfectly. Also, they're weird. They're metal, 18-tooth splined, with a set screw. I've never seen knobs like this before.

Bourns PTB241-GTR01-104B0's are what I need. GTR02's are everywhere. (Solid shaft.)

Comment

Working...
                              X