Pickguard mounted switch options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickguard mounted switch options

I would like to add a floating pickguard mounted Jazz pickup to the bridge of my new hollowbody but I don't want to drill any holes in the body for a switch. I would prefer to have everything pickguard mounted so if I want to reverse the mod I can just replace the pickguard. I will probably need a new pickguard because I need more material near the bridge to mount the pickup. I have been looking around at various switches and blend pots but I haven't found anything I like yet. Does anyone make a micro blend pot or micro-rotary switch that could be pickguard mounted? A thumbwheel pan pot hidden under the edge of the pickguard would be great but I haven't seen any of those. I suppose I could also replace the mounting screw for the bracket with a 3-way mini toggle?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-21-2020, 09:49 AM.

If I was going to do this, I'd get some "hobby" metal, like some brass plate or SS. Carefully bend it to make an under-guard bracket, then use standard slide switches that peek out from the bottom. All the fabrication is done on the brass adaptor, and you should only need to do two holes in the pickguard. Maybe only one, if you can utilize the screw for the bracket that's already there.

Like this, just as an example. You'd want to get the width that best suited your project. https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Hobbies-Collecting/Tools-Blades/Brass-Sheet---0.005"/p/21620

Width AND thickness. That example is probably too thin.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-21-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      If I was going to do this, I'd get some "hobby" metal, like some brass plate or SS. Carefully bend it to make an under-guard bracket, then use standard slide switches that peek out from the bottom. All the fabrication is done on the brass adaptor, and you should only need to do two holes in the pickguard. Maybe only one, if you can utilize the screw for the bracket that's already there.

Like this, just as an example. You'd want to get the width that best suited your project. https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Hobbies-Collecting/Tools-Blades/Brass-Sheet---0.005"/p/21620

Width AND thickness. That example is probably too thin.
      Actually I think I could just use a mini-toggle and a battery clip I already have as an L bracket. I would just need to resize the hole and epoxy the clip to the pickguard.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-21-2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Yup. That could work good too. I wasn't sure what switching options you needed. You could even make a couple simple "L" brackets just in case epoxy doesn't secure it solid.

Cool project. Let us know how this progresses.

Comment

I do not know the answers - but I have totally seen the pick guard switched.

I'd think you could easily mount it right where the screw hole for the mount is on the guard. Place it right over the F-hole. A full size pot would probably fit. I'd place it so the knob was where the screw top would be.

Kind of like this. Except id make the mount/screwtop/knob location be over the F hole. The pot would be the screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2704055537_gtr_cntbdyleft_001_nr.png
Views:	161
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	6031101
          Last edited by Aceman; 11-21-2020, 12:01 PM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have thought of doing the same thing. This lamp style 3-way rotary would probably work and could fit under the rounded lobe over the f-hole. Although I would need to see one in person to see if it would fit correctly. https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/me...rge/GSW-62.jpg

Comment

I’ve seen some Les Paul guitars where he utilized the round end of the F-hole to mount pots or rotary switches. Maybe not as elegant, but reversible option if can’t find mini pots or switches.

Comment

Working...
              X