Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1b4n3z
    replied
    Tone Zone has the shorter magnet as well, at least my 2006 Ibanez OEM model does

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    Always loved T-tops in neck position. At the bridge I tend to prefer a little more beef.
    Seems the PAF Pro would deliver that, though the hex screws likely would tighten it up even more.

Never tried PAF Pros or PAF Masters. But I've liked Larry's regular PAF types since the 70s.
    My '76 LP Custom with DiMarzios is long gone, but I do have the VPAF/HVPAF and 36th Anni.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    So like a T-Top...if it's A5.

Using the shorter A5 magnet in the neck pickup of a set of 59's is a cool way to get a clearer tone.

You can even use two 59B pickups and put the shorter magnet in the one being used as a neck pickup to reduce bass and get a clearer, more transparent tone.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-23-2020, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ace Flibble
    replied
    Huh. Funny, it used to be a pervasive story that PAF Pros actually have a bigger magnet than other DMs. In any case, there certainly are some DM pickups that do use smaller magnets, like the Evo 2, so I wouldn't have thought the PAF Pro would be one but it's not alone.
    Now I want to hear a PAF Pro with a longer and taller magnet, give it the ol' SD Distortion treatment. I'd think a medium wind like that should take magnet swaps very well.

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    Yah, that is interesting. Several of DiMarzio's other hums are said to be based on the PAF Pro.
    Now I'm wondering whether they use short A5s, too.

Leave a comment:

• Luke Duke
    started a topic Dimarzio PAF Pro Magnet was Smaller

Dimarzio PAF Pro Magnet was Smaller

So I decided to do mag swap on the PAF Pros in my 2620 since I had some A3 bars laying around. I was surprised to see that the factory ones were about 1/8th of an inch shorter than the Philadelphia Luthier ones...or, if memory serves, SD magnets. Short magnets were used in later PAFs, Pat. # pickups, and T-Tops. Not that the PAF Pro is much of a PAF, but I thought it interesting.

Thought some folks might be interested to see.
Working...
X