Volume Pot value / Pickup Loading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Pot value / Pickup Loading

Was wondering if using a 250k volume pot has the same loading / tonal effect on the pickups as using a 500k volume + 500k tone??

I have a couple of Humbucker equipped guitars which have no tone pots which sound a bit too harsh / icepicky on the neck pickup... Would a 250k volume mimic the effect of a 500k vol and 500k tone on 10 (wide open)?

Reason I ask is I don't necessarily have the space to install an additional tone pot.

​​​​​

​​​​
    Last edited by evh_slash; 11-22-2020, 04:16 PM.
    -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
    -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
    -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
    -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
    -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
    -RG7 BKP Brutes

Yes, you will get a similar effect, but it's technically different.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

If you were talking 2 x 500k resistors in a circuit then yes they would 'see' 250k instead. But the presence of the inductor (pickup) and the nature of the tone circuit means that I feel there will be frequency dependent differences as well as similarities.
      For a guitar rig, where you have multiple levels of eq shaping possibilities, you probably will be able to make the single 250k work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by evh_slash View Post
        Was wondering if using a 250k volume pot has the same loading / tonal effect on the pickups as using a 500k volume + 500k tone??

I have a couple of Humbucker equipped guitars which have no tone pots which sound a bit too harsh / icepicky on the neck pickup... Would a 250k volume mimic the effect of a 500k vol and 500k tone on 10 (wide open)?

Reason I ask is I don't necessarily have the space to install an additional tone pot.

​​​​​

​​​​
        What others said + the fact that a 250k volume will behave differently when lowered, since it puts less resistance between pickup and output...

... Now, you could mimic a missing tone pot with a resistor in parallel to your pickups paired to 500k volume pots. 470k from hot to ground should do a fine job. If you want all the features of a fixed tone control, add a cap in series with the resistor but it's not mandatory. :-)
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

What others said + the fact that a 250k volume will behave differently when lowered, since it puts less resistance between pickup and output...

... Now, you could mimic a missing tone pot with a resistor in parallel to your pickups paired to 500k volume pots. 470k from hot to ground should do a fine job. If you want all the features of a fixed tone control, add a cap in series with the resistor but it's not mandatory. :-)
          Wouldn’t that mimic it as if the tone pot were turned all the way down (not on 10)?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Wouldn’t that mimic it as if the tone pot were turned all the way down (not on 10)?
            Not sure to understand your question, mate... Sorry for that: English is still not my mother tongue. :-/

A 470k resistor in series with a tone cap is exaclty what I have in parallel with some Duncan pickups, in a guitar with a single 500k volume control but without tone pot: these two component in series between hot and ground just mimic a 470k tone pot full up and stuck in this position, no more, no less...

I know that 470k is not 500k but most pots supposed to have this resistive value don't reach it anyway...
            Last edited by freefrog; 11-24-2020, 03:22 AM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Concentric pot might help.

How about using a 500k resistor across the neck hot wire & other end grounded, should make the neck see a ~250k load.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Not sure to understand your question, mate... Sorry for that: English is still not my mother tongue. :-/

A 470k resistor in series with a tone cap is exaclty what I have in parallel with some Duncan pickups, in a guitar with a single 500k volume control but without tone pot: these two component in series between hot and ground just mimic a 470k tone pot full up and stuck in this position, no more, no less...

I know that 470k is not 500k but most pots supposed to have this resistive value don't reach it anyway...
                I just thought about it again and your solution should work fine. Probably could add another small value (30k) resistor in series to equal 500k.

Comment

Working...
                X