banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bridge pup for SD full shred neck on a lp style guitar for downtuned prog metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bridge pup for SD full shred neck on a lp style guitar for downtuned prog metal

I have recently bought a SD full shred neck pup for my 6 string les Paul style guitar. The guitar has a mahogany body with a flame maple veneer on top. It has a mahogany bolt-on neck with a rosewood fretboard. I will mostly play heavy chunky prog rhythm(in the style of Tool, Opeth, Dream Theatre etc)on this guitar and it will be mostly tuned to standard d or drop c. I run 12 gauge daddario strings on it. Looking for a bridge pup recommendation which will perfectly compliment the full shred neck for playing this kind of downtuned prog metal. I have read that invader goes well with it but I don’t like the sound of it and also read about Pegasus and sentinent pups but they are not available in my country right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is going to sound like I'm just plucking out the most thoughtless answer here, but seriously, the Full Shred Bridge. I have a set in a Les Paul and they work beautifully for balancing out that guitar in D Standard with slightly heavier strings. I can't handle .012s, but I do use a set of .0105-.054 (IIRC a standard .012 set ends with a .056) and the Full Shreds keep that guitar sounding clear enough for high gain but still fairly thick as Les Paul should. (I can't say I've ever tried them for Drop C, because any time I tune lower than C# I just go to active pickups or a 7-string.)

I have another LP which is identical in build but with a Jazz and Custom 5 set, using the same strings but for Eb Standard. The Jazz and Full Shred Neck are the same pickup, just with different pole pieces; the Full Shred Bridge is a Custom 5 with different pole pieces. When both guitars are tuned the same (either D Standard or Eb Standard) you can't really tell the difference between the two pickup sets. The Jazz/Custom 5 combination is just a tiny bit heavier in bass, but it's a small difference. The way I think of it is the Full Shred set is those two pickups (Jn/C5) just optimised for slightly lower tunings; by not having quite as much bass they stay just a little bit clearer as you tune lower. It actually baffles me that they're called 'Full Shred' when to my mind they're most ideal as slow, chugging rhythm pickups for muddy guitars.

So, you can look up what people like to put with a Jazz neck and know that anything that blends with the Jazz well will also match with the Full Shred, since they are 99% the same. As I said, my pick is the Full Shred Bridge, which obviously is as close a match as you can get. The Custom 5 also does well with the Jazz/Full Shred if you want just a little bit more bass, or the Custom works great if you like the Full Shred tone balance but want more output overall. (Though the Full Shred Bridge isn't that far behind in output; I think Seymour Duncan are very wrong to market it as a 'medium' pickup.)

I don't know why anyone would put the Invader with a Full Shred unless they only looked at the pole pieces and figured they look close visually. Tonally they are total opposites and the Invader bridge massively overpowers the FS neck in output. For reference, I do have an Invader, I like it a lot but I've never found a neck pickup that matches well with it, including the Invader Neck. Right now I have it paired with a Distortion and it's still a total mismatch in output and tone. I'd also never put an Invader in a Les Paul, it's really matched for thin-sounding guitars.

Some people will suggest the JB, I'm sure; not a fan myself, especially with the Jazz/Full Shred where I've found the more evenly-EQd and fractionally less hot Custom 5/Full Shred bridge is a better match. JBs overpower them.

Comment

Full Shred bridge. It's great at downtuned heavily distorted tones. If it's too bright swap for A8 magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        Full Shred bridge. It's great at downtuned heavily distorted tones. If it's too bright swap for A8 magnets.
        Or the cap?

Comment

I say, go for a Custom. You will gain low end perfect for huge chords, with an EQ that sounds amazing for LP-style guitars. The Custom & Full Shred combo is a good one, especially in mahogany.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
            The Jazz and Full Shred Neck are the same pickup, just with different pole pieces; the Full Shred Bridge is a Custom 5 with different pole pieces.
            Where was this ever confirmed, either by Duncan employee, or a winder who disassembled them and analyzed the construction to confirm?

Comment

It's a full hog bolt-on with a maple top. It can still be called LPish due to the shape I guess, but to me a set-in neck is a lot of the LP tone.
              That aside, I really would go with Mincer's advice on this. For that riffing style and that guitar you'll want a ceramic that has some low-end weight.

Comment

Omega holcomb signature, designed for Prog legend Mark Holcomb from Periphery

For a more "classic" tone I'd get the Full Shred, Opeth used it on a lot of their albums so that should be right up your alley!

Comment

Down-tuned metal always pairs well with Black Winter, Alt-8, Sh-6.
                  The full shred is a good choice too.
                  https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Where was this ever confirmed, either by Duncan employee, or a winder who disassembled them and analyzed the construction to confirm?
                    I don't believe that is confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I don't believe that is confirmed.
                      it has the same DCr and magnet, giving that the bridge is a custom I don't think it's far fetched to assume full shred neck is a jazz, but I think remember seeing a post by an (ex-?)employee who claimed it was not the same wind, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

it has the same DCr and magnet, giving that the bridge is a custom I don't think it's far fetched to assume full shred neck is a jazz, but I think remember seeing a post by an (ex-?)employee who claimed it was not the same wind, who knows?
                        DCR / magnet does not indicate similarity in pickups. A DiMarzio Super Distortion is 14k. Putting an A5 magnet in it would not make it a 14k Full Shred by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

DCR / magnet does not indicate similarity in pickups. A DiMarzio Super Distortion is 14k. Putting an A5 magnet in it would not make it a 14k Full Shred by any stretch.
                          dimarzio is a different brand, bad example, we already know duncan "recycles" his pickups for new designs, like the A2P and the jazz, the custom family etc etc

Comment

It used to be well-documented on the old boards; I don't know where stuff is on the current boards, it seems many old threads just return error messages now. In any case, it's going back some years now but indeed there were quotes from MJ straight-up saying the A2P, Jazz and FS neck are the same wind (I want to say it had something to do with the development of the Slash pickups, but it's been a good few years now, my memory ain't the best) and... I want to say Evan? Evan or Kevin, one of the two, saying the same about the Custom and Full Shred bridge.
                            Given I've got all the aforementioned pickups all in identical or near-identical spec guitars and they do all sound 99.9% the same as you swap magnets and pole pieces between them, I've never had any reason to doubt the knowledge of the old boards.

edit:
                            For a more useful contribution, here's a simple chord strum I recorded the other week for another thread, showing the direct input (no amp, no pedals) of the Full Shred bridge vs the Custom 5 bridge, both in otherwise-identical Les Paul Studios.
                            https://soundcloud.com/aceflibble/sd-full-shred-vs-custom-5/s-tDJHfdyZWN6
                            Other than the tiniest bit more bass in the C5, there's no appreciable difference. With distortion and low tunings the FS does stay a little clearer than the C5 (and the Custom), but it is again marginal. So for an "LP style guitar" with .012 strings tuned to D or Drop C, my pick remains the Full Shred. The Custom is a touch better for low tunings in a much brighter guitar and the C5 is better for E Standard and light strings, but for an LP and heavy strings a full step down or more, Full Shred's got the edge.
                            Last edited by Ace Flibble; 11-25-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Hoping to only spread information we know for certain, which is why I am cautious with statements like that. It may have been on the old board, but until someone with knowledge first hand steps up, I don't like to spread it.

Comment

Working...
                              X