banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bridge pup for SD full shred neck on a lp style guitar for downtuned prog metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, a lot of googling (blows my mind how much of the old boards have been wiped out, yet still return as google results) has found Evan talking about the A2P and Jazz: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...58#post4441758

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Where was this ever confirmed, either by Duncan employee, or a winder who disassembled them and analyzed the construction to confirm?
      Falbo said the Full Shred bridge indeed has the same wind as the Custom series. But that the Full Shred neck's wind is not the same as the Jazz.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Falbo said the Full Shred bridge indeed has the same wind as the Custom series. But that the Full Shred neck's wind is not the same as the Jazz.
        Link?

Comment

My brain :P
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

So it was Frank. I knew one of 'em had said it, dunno why I thought of Kevin and I must have gotten Evan confused because he was the one to say it about the neck pickups.

Plea to the SD webmasters: the next time the boards get changed up, please archive everything, 'cause my memory ain't half what it used to be.

Comment

I still think it's the same wind, unless someone from SD confirms it isn't i'll stick to that

Comment

You can think it, but we can't confirm it until someone who was there confirms it and we have proof.
                Now, our OP hasn't come back, but in case that happens, I will also add the Pegasus to the choices.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Then go search for the post. I don't make stuff up. I'm in a salty mood because I woke up and the whole house smells like **** cuz my mom is cooking veggie food. She gets all pumped about the epic preparation and it comes out scary bad when she usually makes good veggie stuff during the year.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 11-26-2020, 10:23 AM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
                    I still think it's the same wind, unless someone from SD confirms it isn't i'll stick to that.
                    He did confirm it. He said FSb = yes and FSn = no.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

This is what I could find:

Sticky for list of Duncans that are the same wind with different magnets?
                      A while back I ran into a very informative and helpful thread listing all the Duncan offerings that were essentially the same wind with different magnets. Now I cannot seem to find that thread for the life of me. The search function either yields 0 results - or 10 pages worth of threads. Is it possible to ‘sticky’

Hex poles - does length affect tone?

Tribute to MJ wound Alnico II pro from 1986 to 2013

Comment

Full Shred is my favorite neck humbucker. Its quite versatile.

I would recommend Full Shred bridge far ahead of anything else, then Custom or Distortion for more aggression and punch. I never tried the Nazgul or Alpha/Omega but those also seem like good choices.

I was not a fan of the Pegasus. I don't believe JB or Demon would work.

Are you open to other brands other than Duncan? Dimarzio Titan or Illuminator may also work out

Comment

In that most popular video shootout we've all seen a million times,,,,,,,that Nazgul really has an amazing clarity to the attack. Both in the lows and the upper-mids.
                          To my ears it sounds like it has firmest and clearest low-end of all their "metal" models.

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailDIO View Post
                            Full Shred is my favorite neck humbucker. Its quite versatile.

I would recommend Full Shred bridge far ahead of anything else, then Custom or Distortion for more aggression and punch. I never tried the Nazgul or Alpha/Omega but those also seem like good choices.

I was not a fan of the Pegasus. I don't believe JB or Demon would work.

Are you open to other brands other than Duncan? Dimarzio Titan or Illuminator may also work out
                            In my area Duncan is available as of now. Especially due to covid its pretty hard to find dimarzio here. After reading all of your suggestions I guess I would go with a full-shred bridge or a custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              You can think it, but we can't confirm it until someone who was there confirms it and we have proof.
                              Now, our OP hasn't come back, but in case that happens, I will also add the Pegasus to the choices.
                              Thanks for these great suggestions dude. Pegasus is not at all available in my country right now. Some can be found in amazon.in but they are selling for $300 equivalent price where as I believe its only a $100 pup. I will search for the custom or the full-shred bridge. I guess Full-shred bridge is available at a reasonable price over here. Thank a lot again for all these amazing suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
                                This is going to sound like I'm just plucking out the most thoughtless answer here, but seriously, the Full Shred Bridge. I have a set in a Les Paul and they work beautifully for balancing out that guitar in D Standard with slightly heavier strings. I can't handle .012s, but I do use a set of .0105-.054 (IIRC a standard .012 set ends with a .056) and the Full Shreds keep that guitar sounding clear enough for high gain but still fairly thick as Les Paul should. (I can't say I've ever tried them for Drop C, because any time I tune lower than C# I just go to active pickups or a 7-string.)

I have another LP which is identical in build but with a Jazz and Custom 5 set, using the same strings but for Eb Standard. The Jazz and Full Shred Neck are the same pickup, just with different pole pieces; the Full Shred Bridge is a Custom 5 with different pole pieces. When both guitars are tuned the same (either D Standard or Eb Standard) you can't really tell the difference between the two pickup sets. The Jazz/Custom 5 combination is just a tiny bit heavier in bass, but it's a small difference. The way I think of it is the Full Shred set is those two pickups (Jn/C5) just optimised for slightly lower tunings; by not having quite as much bass they stay just a little bit clearer as you tune lower. It actually baffles me that they're called 'Full Shred' when to my mind they're most ideal as slow, chugging rhythm pickups for muddy guitars.

So, you can look up what people like to put with a Jazz neck and know that anything that blends with the Jazz well will also match with the Full Shred, since they are 99% the same. As I said, my pick is the Full Shred Bridge, which obviously is as close a match as you can get. The Custom 5 also does well with the Jazz/Full Shred if you want just a little bit more bass, or the Custom works great if you like the Full Shred tone balance but want more output overall. (Though the Full Shred Bridge isn't that far behind in output; I think Seymour Duncan are very wrong to market it as a 'medium' pickup.)

I don't know why anyone would put the Invader with a Full Shred unless they only looked at the pole pieces and figured they look close visually. Tonally they are total opposites and the Invader bridge massively overpowers the FS neck in output. For reference, I do have an Invader, I like it a lot but I've never found a neck pickup that matches well with it, including the Invader Neck. Right now I have it paired with a Distortion and it's still a total mismatch in output and tone. I'd also never put an Invader in a Les Paul, it's really matched for thin-sounding guitars.

Some people will suggest the JB, I'm sure; not a fan myself, especially with the Jazz/Full Shred where I've found the more evenly-EQd and fractionally less hot Custom 5/Full Shred bridge is a better match. JBs overpower them.
                                Hey man. thanks for the detailed advice. I think I will go with the full-shred bridge only. If not available then custom.

Comment

Working...
                                X