Seymour Duncan Liberator Volume Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Other folks have probably already made this point, but just to be clear: there's no correlation between the Liberator and any specific wiring scheme. The Liberator simply connects as if it were your pickups, regardless of the wiring scheme. Then, the pups just connect to it.

I have mixed emotions about the Liberator. I bought one just so I could hold it in my hand and see how it's configured. It's never been installed in anything because my solder skills are "up to snuff", so to speak. But I do see one shining example of its use:

Let's say you're someone who wants to try various pups in your Les Paul. (Just as an example.) And lets say you're neither good at soldering, or have the equipment. You take it to a good tech and let them wire up the whole guitar, with the Liberator. Now, you can swap to your hearts delight with just the supplied screwdriver.

My 2-cents worth.
    That's really where this thing shines. It isn't anything other than that. As far as that wiring scheme, the Liberator just makes it easier to put the pickups in, but to do that, you will still need a Super Switch, and flip one magnet to keep it all hum-cancelling.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That's really where this thing shines. It isn't anything other than that. As far as that wiring scheme, the Liberator just makes it easier to put the pickups in, but to do that, you will still need a Super Switch, and flip one magnet to keep it all hum-cancelling.
      Mincer, "need" to flip magnet in order to achieve hum-canceling? Not accurate. Magnet flipping is just one way to do that. And i would argue more invasive and labor-requiring than another alternate, which is to rotate the pup 180 degress and then wire it so you get the coil that you want, to be split. In the last 6 months or so, I have helped people out on this forum a few times with custom diagrams that used that method.

It's ok if someone prefers the flip-the-magnet method. But its not helpful to the community, some of them newbies, to propogate the idea that it's the only method.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I even go a step easier. I just split to the bridge/stud - neck/screw. Easy-peasy, and my Duncan logo isn't upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Mincer, "need" to flip magnet in order to achieve hum-canceling? Not accurate. Magnet flipping is just one way to do that. And i would argue more invasive and labor-requiring than another alternate, which is to rotate the pup 180 degress and then wire it so you get the coil that you want, to be split. In the last 6 months or so, I have helped people out on this forum a few times with custom diagrams that used that method.

It's ok if someone prefers the flip-the-magnet method. But its not helpful to the community, some of them newbies, to propogate the idea that it's the only method.
          Well, that changes the look and possibly the tone (just a bit). Once you know how to do it, it isn't a big deal. You need to do it if you don't want to flip your pickups. I have come across many people who don't want to do that, especially with covered pickups or pickups with logos, as it radically changes the look (which is what they tell me).
          I know it might not be a big deal to some, but upside down logos or pickups just might not be the look someone wants. So, I can agree to say 'this is only possible if you flip a magnet or want to flip the whole pickup around.'

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmusic View Post

Ok, I finally ordered the Super Switch, this is the model:

https://www.cedist.com/products/swit...selector-5-way

The neck pickup will be the Screamin Demon

The Bridge Pickup will be the Dimarzio Norton

I hope this helps, it is very nice of you to offer your help in this way. I am not in a big rush because I have several parts I am still waiting to come in for the guitar.
            No problem. It gives me the opportunity to create a diagram that features the Liberator , which i can use as a template in the future for other diagrams.

Do either of your two humbuckers have logos on them? Or a cover with a design onnit? If yes, please specify. The reason I ask is that to get the two splitcoil pairs in Positions 2 and 4 to be humcanceling, i could either A) design the diagram to rotate one of the pickups 180 degrees, plus design the wiring connections in a certain way, or B) if the pickup candidate has a logo or design pattern that would make it look odd turned around like that, the diagram could be designed with the intent that you would instead partially disassemble the pickup beforehand, flip the magnet over, and then reassemble the pickup. In followup replies i and other members here could cover HOW to do Option B if that is the one you want. There is a third option, where if you don't care about 60 cycle hum being present in Positons 2 and 4, then we don't have to do anything special at all.

Let me know your thoughts, questions, etc.
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-09-2020, 09:11 AM.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

There is a fourth option although it starts deviating from your request where position 2 is one inner and one outer coil and position 4 is the other inner and outer coilw. This does provide hum cancelling
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-09-2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

There is a fourth option although it starts deviating from your request where position 2 is one inner and one outer coil and position 4 is the other inner and outer coilw. This does provide hum cancelling
                How different do they sound? Is it significant that it's worth having both options?

Comment

To me, the neck side coils sound better than the bridge side ones. More output, too.

Comment

No problem. It gives me the opportunity to create a diagram that features the Liberator , which i can use as a template in the future for other diagrams.

Do either of your two humbuckers have logos on them? Or a cover with a design onnit? If yes, please specify. The reason I ask is that to get the two splitcoil pairs in Positions 2 and 4 to be humcanceling, i could either A) design the diagram to rotate one of the pickups 180 degrees, plus design the wiring connections in a certain way, or B) if the pickup candidate has a logo or design pattern that would make it look odd turned around like that, the diagram could be designed with the intent that you would instead partially disassemble the pickup beforehand, flip the magnet over, and then reassemble the pickup. In followup replies i and other members here could cover HOW to do Option B if that is the one you want. There is a third option, where if you don't care about 60 cycle hum being present in Positons 2 and 4, then we don't have to do anything special at all.

Let me know your thoughts, questions, etc.
                    I can flip the neck humbucker's magnet 180 degrees and put it back in the neck humbucker, It has the Seymour Logo which I would like to maintain-I have replaced magnets before so should be easy

Comment

I can flip the neck humbucker's magnet 180 degrees and put it back in the neck humbucker, It has the Seymour Logo which I would like to maintain-I have replaced magnets before so should be easy
                      Ok, then I'll work up the diagram based on that plan.

Comment

Ok, then I'll work up the diagram based on that plan.
                        Thank you! That's very nice of you to help!

Comment

As I was working on the diagram for you I realized that your plan to use a pickup designed as a bridge pickup in the Neck position here, makes a difference for what changes we do and don't need to do here. The Screaming Demon, as a bridge pickup and your plan to continue having the logo facing the corect way, will already have its magnetically South coil situated as the inner coil in the Neck position, so no magnet flip is required.
                          Pickups designed as Neck pickups typically have the South magnetic coil as the outer coil, and that normally drives the need to (one way or the other) get the South coil situated as the Inner coil instead when one wants the Inner and Outer coil pairs to be hum canceling, since the Bridge pickup's Inner coil is typically (and also in this case) magnetic North.

Comment

Thank you for pointing that out! In that case, this sounds like it will be easier than expected! I like the screamin demon as a neck pickup so this is good news in case I want to do this same setup in another guitar

Comment

Thank you for pointing that out! In that case, this sounds like it will be easier than expected! I like the screamin demon as a neck pickup so this is good news in case I want to do this same setup in another guitar
                              Great.

Here is the completed diagram. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Great.

Here is the completed diagram. Let me know if you have any questions.
                                AWESOME! thank you! It'll be a little while before I get all the parts in for the guitar, but when I get it wired up-I'll be back with how it turned out! Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                                X