banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the most "Quack" on a H-H guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the most "Quack" on a H-H guitar?

what combinations of split/parallel coils yield the best "2 and 4 position strat quack" on a dual humbucker guitar? would it be neck screw and bridge slug, and neck slug and bridge screw?

Personally, either the inside 2 coils or outside 2 coils, in parallel and humbucking (you might have to flip a magnet) give the best quack sound You need either a Megaswitch or Super Switch to pull this off.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think adding a phase option and having two volumes to mix would also increase the quack options.

Comment

If you don't want to mess with a mag flip, (and reverse wiring), I always love the bridge slug with the neck screw. Works good, sounds great.

Comment

*Some* amount of quack can be achieved by inner coils of humbuckers in parallel, but it will never be much compared to two single coils - either neck & middle, or middle & neck. Strong quack requires the close physical proximity that only a middle position pup can provide. I just went thru a project finding that out for myself, where i even had 2 bonafide singlecoils installed in a HH guitar and even then, the quack was only subtle. I also tried Half Out Of Phase wiring that is reported to add quack, but i found that the tone it added was more of an acoustic-like strum sound, not a quack.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Spin a splits can make a hum quack on its own. Plus different quack combos with the pups combined.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 11-24-2020, 11:58 AM.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              *Some* amount of quack can be achieved by inner coils of humbuckers in parallel, but it will never be much compared to two single coils - either neck & middle, or middle & neck. Strong quack requires the close physical proximity that only a middle position pup can provide. I just went thru a project finding that out for myself, where i even had 2 bonafide singlecoils installed in a HH guitar and even then, the quack was only subtle. I also tried Half Out Of Phase wiring that is reported to add quack, but i found that the tone it added was more of an acoustic-like strum sound, not a quack.
              I agree with this. It's like the Telecaster middle position.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I agree with this. It's like the Telecaster middle position.
                It works better with some pickups than others. But to me, it is 'close enough'.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wasn't there a wiring, either by Ibanez or PRS that did outside coils in parallel, inside coils in series?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Wasn't there a wiring, either by Ibanez or PRS that did outside coils in parallel, inside coils in series?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                    Yep, that's one of the earliest PRS 5 way wirings. Stewmac hosts a diagram for that, setup specifically for a rotary pickup selector which is predominantly the format that PRS used that 5 way config in. See below.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

It works better with some pickups than others. But to me, it is 'close enough'.
                      I thought so too with my recent project, until i brought home a Strat w a middle pup to compare Positions 2 and 4 against my SS guitar setup. I also asked my wife to be an objective listener. Even she said that the difference in quack factor was significant btw the two guitars. My SS was setup with a Dimarzio Area 67 in the neck and a Area 58 in the bridge. And I was only using the main coils of each Dimarzio pup (i.e. the smaller hum-canceling coil of each pup was not active). But maybe like you say i might have gotten more quack if the pickups were different.
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-24-2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        If you don't want to mess with a mag flip, (and reverse wiring), I always love the bridge slug with the neck screw. Works good, sounds great.
                        A few members report in this thread at The Gear Page forum that keeping the two coils that are being combined in parallel as NON-hum-canceling yields more quack vs. the two being hum-canceling. At least, for singlecoil type pups. I'm assuming that holds true for splitcoils of two humbuckers.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...1597731/page-2

And, magnet flipping isn't the only option to achieve hum-canceling inner coils. Intead, one pup can be rotated 180 degrees and then you wire the coilsplit specifically for the two inner coils.
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-24-2020, 10:04 PM.

Comment

how about wiring the neck in parallel, would that get close to the "2" position on a strat (neck+middle)?

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
                            how about wiring the neck in parallel, would that get close to the "2" position on a strat (neck+middle)?
                            Wiring a humbuckers' 2 coils in parallel has a "hollow" type sound to me... i don't hear "quack" in that configuration, personally.

To your original question, you will get some quack when you wire the two inner coils of an HH in parallel. I was just trying to make you aware that - per my experience - the amount of quack will be far less than when a middle position pup is present, like in a Strat's Positions 2 and 4. So split inner coils will yield the most quack that a HH guitar can provide, in my opinion.
                            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-24-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Wiring a humbuckers' 2 coils in parallel has a "hollow" type sound to me... i don't hear "quack" in that configuration, personally.

To your original question, you will get some quack when you wire the two inner coils of an HH in parallel. I was just trying to make you aware that - per my experience - the amount of quack will be far less than when a middle position pup is present, like in a Strat's Positions 2 and 4. So split inner coils will yield the most quack that a HH guitar can provide, in my opinion.
                              allright, quack aside, would a neck in parallel come closest to the 2 position on a strat? the split inners does quack but seems to be a bit more like a tele, i'm looking for that polite, almost acoustic-y 2 position sound that i had on a Jackson DK2, it was a 24 fret guitar with duncan STK-1's in the neck and middle, that 2 position sounded glorious!

btw: is the STK1 strat pickup discontinued? shame because i really liked that one!
                              Last edited by Reee; 11-25-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X