banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the most "Quack" on a H-H guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I found an old "tone chart" from my archives. They aren't quite the same thing. The STK-S1 was a hotter wind, with A2's. The STK-S4 was designated "Plus", and had A5's. (Lower DCR.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan_Tone_Chart_Stratocaster.png
Views:	227
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6032084
    Awesome info. I just downloaded it and filed it away. The recently revised SD product pages are hit or miss about mentioning the Model #, unfortunately.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Get more "QUACK"? Install a Duckbucker!

Comment

BTW, in the last year i have switched over to a TruTone CS-12 power supply that features "triple filtered switching power supply technology". I use it for my pedals and BOSS MS3 unit that I use as a pedalboard-based amp into my PA. With that power supply, my non-noiseless singlecoil pups and split coils have only a very faint amount of 60 cycle hum. Of course, that may not hold true at a gig venue with dirty power setups or if you're using a traditional amp, but that's what I am finding at home with my setup. So a good isolated power supply may alleviate alot of the 60 cycle noise if you decide to use some non-hum-canceling coil/pup setups. YMMV.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Awesome info. I just downloaded it and filed it away. The recently revised SD product pages are hit or miss about mentioning the Model #, unfortunately.
          I'll try to upload the whole chart. 1st attempt failed. It might be too large.

Still unreadable. I'll break it up.

I put it back. Let me know if this works.

Still not working.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-25-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I'll try to upload the whole chart. 1st attempt failed. It might be too large.
            Success!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Success!
              So, you got it ok?

Comment

So, you got it ok?
                Yes - thanks!

Comment

maybe the STK1 is not listed on the website anymore but is still being made? they are still available at Thomann in any case

Comment

I would think if you really wanted one, they would make it for you.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It would be fun to hear them side by side. The STK-S4 pretty much nails the classic single coil tone, while remaining noiseless. I'd love to hear an STK-S1.

Comment

It would be fun to hear them side by side. The STK-S4 pretty much nails the classic single coil tone, while remaining noiseless. I'd love to hear an STK-S1.
                        I hadn't heard it, but I am a huge fan of the STK-S4. My guess is that there is a reason they changed the design.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The STK-S1 was ancient, the S4 is a technological advancement, part of which is the tuning of each pickup for optimal noise cancellation at end of line, right? (I seem to remember each one being measured, then a specific value resistor being added)
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            The STK-S1 was ancient, the S4 is a technological advancement, part of which is the tuning of each pickup for optimal noise cancellation at end of line, right? (I seem to remember each one being measured, then a specific value resistor being added)
                            Yes, and IIRC, they actually used a Helmholtz coil to find the perfect balance. I wouldn't even have known what that was except that we got one in our cal lab for that similar purpose just before I retired. (Balancing NAV coils. Not making pups.)

Comment

i think i have an stks1 downstairs some where. i remember it being a great pup but not being all that stratty compared to an ssl1 or old fender pup

Comment

Working...
                              X