RTM in a Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTM in a Les Paul?

I've seen a few references that the RTM pickup sounds best in a brighter guitar. Does anyone know if it still sounds good in a Les Paul?

I'm fine with this being a no-compromise 80s rock/metal machine, and that would be the sound I'm targeting.

On that same note, any opinions on what neck pickup would be good to pair in this scenario? I think I'd prefer similar output levels but a contrasting sound (very smooth but not muddy).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

I don’t see why not. The Custom Custom works great in a LP. It has an A2 mag like the RTM with big mids. Give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I don’t see why not. The Custom Custom works great in a LP. It has an A2 mag like the RTM with big mids. Give it a shot.
      Thanks!

Any opinions on a matching neck pickup (something with similar levels, but in contrast to the RTM)?

Comment

If you want a hotter neck pickup, the Screamin' Demon makes and excellent neck pickup. It doesn't get muddy and would match up pretty decent with the RTM I would think, even though it does have an A5 rather than an A2. Another option would be the Alnico II Pro. The neck or bridge model would do well.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

I have had, and liked a CC in a Les Paul. I like it for what I wanted.

But I don't agree that most will like it for most things, or that it is a great pickup for a Les Paul in general.

Tastes vary...as do Les Pauls.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I have had, and liked a CC in a Les Paul. I like it for what I wanted.

But I don't agree that most will like it for most things, or that it is a great pickup for a Les Paul in general.

Tastes vary...as do Les Pauls.
            Same can be said for the Super Distortion, or a Burstbucker, or a Custom or JB even. I should probably add to the CC recommendation that if the LP is a little on the bright side, which mine is, then it may be the right choice.

Comment

I can't say for sure whether my Les Paul is brighter than others, but it is one of the weight relieved versions so I'd naively assume that means it is likely to be brighter.

Since I saw it mentioned, I do like the Super Distortion which is in my Ibanez RG550 already.

I will look at the Screamin' Demon and Alnico II Pro pickups for the neck!

Comment

Originally posted by hatchling View Post
                I will look at the Screamin' Demon and Alnico II Pro pickups for the neck!
                The A2p is the go to to "match" the tone of the CC. Big fat buttery highs, pushing mids, etc.

The Demon is the opposite end and a more "balancing" pickup. Sharp highs, tight bass, less mids.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

The A2p is the go to to "match" the tone of the CC. Big fat buttery highs, pushing mids, etc.

The Demon is the opposite end and a more "balancing" pickup. Sharp highs, tight bass, less mids.
                  Sounds like I'd be leaning more toward the A2p, although this thread is all about the RTM not the CC. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Sorry got myself confused about the comment on "matching". I want matched output but am thinking I want contrast rather than it to sound like the RTM but in the neck position.
                  Last edited by hatchling; 11-25-2020, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Another one that might work in the neck is the Black Winter.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Another one that might work in the neck is the Black Winter.
                      Took a look at the description and I don't know, I'm looking for an 80s metal type of sound and definitely not something super heavy like that:

It is described as:
                      "Merciless high-output passive humbucker pickups created for the most frigid Black Metal, Death Metal, or any other extreme style. As brutal as the Scandinavian Winter."

Comment

Working...
                      X