Brent Mason Tele neck pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brent Mason Tele neck pup?

Hope everyone is having a nice Thanksgiving. We're just getting ready to head down to the family.

I'm trying to finalize my BM Tele decisions, and just noticed something. Everything I find says that it uses the SM-1 Vintage mini-humbucker. But only the Antiquity II has the pole pieces. Does anyone know for sure which neck pup that is?

Thanks all;
    Artie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Neck_pup.png
Views:	551
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	6032450

On the production Brent Mason model?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'd be willing to bet on Ant II. I wouldn't bet all my money, but I'd bet some of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        On the production Brent Mason model?
        Yeah. That photo is from the current Fender webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I'd be willing to bet on Ant II. I wouldn't bet all my money, but I'd bet some of it.
          I wonder how big of a difference there is? I already have the SM-1. I guess I'll try it first, before springing $150 for the "upgrade."

Comment

Well, they got Duncan to start making the burgundy plastic again for the Hot Stack (which has been gone for years) so odds are they could also do the polepiece version of the SM-1 also, right?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That's true. Those are probably only available on that Tele.

Comment

Well, they got Duncan to start making the burgundy plastic again for the Hot Stack (which has been gone for years) so odds are they could also do the polepiece version of the SM-1 also, right?
                Can't put filister poles in a Firebird mini. It uses blades under the cover, and the cover with the wax is what is holding it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Can't put filister poles in a Firebird mini. It uses blades under the cover, and the cover with the wax is what is holding it all together.
                  Do they not make a non-antiquity, true mini Humbucker?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Do they not make a non-antiquity, true mini Humbucker?
                    All I see on the site, are the SM-1/2/3, which all look identical, with no screws. Then they have the Antiquity Firebird that looks the same but with an "aged" cover. Only the Antiquity II has the screws.

Comment

the sm1 and antiquity II firebird pup are vintage firebird construction. the sm2 and sm3 are different using a single magnet and steel poles. the antiquity II mini humbucker is lp deluxe style construction. they are all awesome sounding pups depending on what you are going for.

i believe brents old grey tele has a gibson lp dlx pup in it. the antiquity II mini hum is probably the closest to what he has in the old one. not sure what fender is using

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. I just looked at mine up close for the first time. I could've swore I had an SM-1n, but it's an SM-3n. Not a huge difference. 6.3k vs 6.6k, and both A5 mags. But there is one other little problem. One leg is bent pretty far back. If that snaps off when I try to straighten it, do you think SD would replace it? I have had the thing for several months now. Maybe even a year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Duncan_SM-3_sm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	6032719

Well ouch! I just found the receipt: July of 2018. I might be a little past my return window.
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-27-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Maybe warm it up before you bend it?

Comment

I may try that. I have one of those little butane torches.

Comment

Got this E-mail from Tom (Fender Musical Instruments) 8 Dec 2023, 10:36 GMT

Hi Dennis
                              Thank you for your email, and I hope you're enjoying your Brent Mason Telecaster! The neck pickup in this model is the Seymour Duncan SM-1N. The version of the pickup in the Brent Mason was designed specifically for this guitar, as it has pole pieces where the original version of the SM-1N doesn't.
                              I hope this helps!

Many thanks,
                              Tom
                              Gear Advisor - Fender EMEA
                              Last edited by Dennis Ga; 02-01-2024, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X