banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a double-cream Bridge Pickup. Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a double-cream Bridge Pickup. Recommendations?

OK. So I have an '83 Ibanez Destroyer "Phil Collen". Started out life as a DT-500 that the original owner (West Coast Ibanez rep) ordered in black. So I put in a Kahler and middle pickup.
    Problem, to maintain the look, I need the bridge pickup to be double cream. So, sadly, that leaves Seymour Duncan out. It's a 3-piece maple neck, basswood body with a thin Maple cap.
    It has the original Ibanez V-2, and it really is kinda bland. Meaning it really doesn't pick up harmonics well. My other guitars are the opposite. Harmonics jump off them.
    So I'm considering a few options: Suhr Aldrich, Lawrence/Wilde L500XL, and the Dimarzio Steve Morse.
    My '76 Destroyer now has a 59/Custom Hybrid with an A8 mag. It absolutely kills.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. BTW, when played acoustically, the harmonics are all there. It isn't the guitar.

I would go with a Super Distortion in that axe. It sounds sweet.

Comment

Yeah - if you want the whole Phil Collen 9 yards, Super D in bridge, Super 2 in neck. Probably another SuperD in the middle.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You can't go too wrong with a Wilde L-500. Great, affordable, and supports a very small family shop that offers lots of expertise and very personal service. Pick your inductance from four different models, ranging from "quite light" (almost Tele-bridge-like) to "quite heavy" (heavier than most people would want).
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I appreciate the responses. The issue with the Super D is that it is fairly thick on the bottom end. The V-2 was Ibanez' answer to the Super D. And the frequency response of that pickup is what is not working. I'm looking for a pickup that leans more toward upper-mids. And the three I mentioned are the ones that go in that direction. I had an L500XL in maple necked 'Superstrat', which was a really bright guitar to begin with. But it really was responsive and harmonics jumped off it. And yes, I got it directly from Bill ~15 years ago or so. Not the "Bill Lawrence USA" crap.
          I'm kinda leaning toward the either the Suhr Aldrich or the Wilde.

Comment

Ima make you the same offer I made an hour ago on the gear page: I have a handwound "overwound" double cream bridge humbucker in like new condition that I will trade even for your V-2.
            it's 9k or so, with a rough-cast A8 magnet. I think i even have a smooth A5 I can include if you want more sparkle and clarity.
            It sustains well and is an all around nice rock pickup but it just doesn't sound as good as the V-2 did in this particular guitar. (Yes, I sold the V-2 like an idjit. Took me a couple weeks to realize it suited this guitar so well and by then it was long gone.)
            The pickup is from Benson Custom Pickups, built to my specs.

Having said that, if clarity and harmonics are your goal the Wilde will do the job. They are narrower than standard humbuckers, though, so they look a little odd next to other pickups in a HHH guitar. (Unless you do all three.)
            Last edited by Dave Locher; 11-27-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

SUPER D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Another vote for the Super Distortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was going to say super d, but since OP wants upper mids and clarity/harmonics, I'd go norton for something a bit lower power.

How about the full shred bridge?

The wilde 500 series sounds like a fit too

Comment

Well, regarding the V-2, as "the answer" to DiMarzio, I'd say they got that question wrong! I'm pretty fair minded about "living with a pickup for a bit before a condemn it.

However - based on the OP, I like the Suhr Aldrich. never played one, but every time I have heard one I really like it.

Comment

Is there a Duncan you are really interested in? If it was Cream JB or nothing, you could build one out of a Zebra and reverse Zebra JB.

If the Super Distortion is too bassy, is a Super 2 too bright?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, you know, I had a Super II in a '74 Les Paul Special 55 (previous owner routed the bridge Pickup already). Sounded really good in an all mahogany ride. Kind of a humbucker with just a whiff of P90 EQ.
                        I thought about that as well. This one is 3 piece maple neck with that thin maple cap, so not sure. Good idea though.
                        As far as doing major surgery on a Duncan, don't think I have that level of skill. Too bad that Duncan can't do double cream. I think that was lame of Larry Dimarzio to patent it. Business is business I guess. My first choice would have been the same pickup I have in my '76. 59/Custom with an A8 mag. Most harmonic-sensitive pickup I've ever had.
                        I'm thinking I'll try the Aldrich first and see how it goes. Worst case I can sell it for close to what I paid for it.

Dave, I genuinely appreciate the offer, but I want to go with a 'known value'. But I'm sure the pickup Benson wound was great.

Comment

Duncan CAN do double cream - they are just chicken ^%$#$% about it. Case in point - you ARE able too get them from others.

Comment

There are double cream Duncans out there. They aren't *that* rare, even if you can't get one made. There were many made, and you can always make one yourself for the cost of 2 pickups, new or used.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NoelH View Post
                              Dave, I genuinely appreciate the offer, but I want to go with a 'known value'. But I'm sure the pickup Benson wound was great.
                              No problem! I thought it might appeal as being a bit similar to your A8 hybrid.
                              It is a really good pickup but it just does not work for me in this guitar. Sounded great in a previous guitar. This one needs the scooped eq of the V-2. (Scooped relative to a Super D, I mean.)
                              ​I am thinking of trying a Super 2 in this thing if I can't find a V-2 cheap enough.

Good luck in your quest. I'm Aldrich-curious, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X