Tone Quest Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Quest Continues

I have a Mahogany guitar with a Floyd. I have JB in it. I wanted a bit smoother high and more thickness. I bought a CC. It was too smooth and did not have the ooph I wanted. What do I do now? JB with A2? Or what?
    All suggestions welcomed.
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Re: Tone Quest Continues

The Custom or C5 would be the obvious next choices. They both fit your description pretty well.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Custom. I was in the same boat as you: I had a guitar with a JB, but wanted smoother highs and more thickness. The Custom fits that bill.

I also have a guitar with a CC, and it sounds like the Custom is what you want.
      This machine kills fascists

Comment

I put a Custom in my LP in the bridge. KaBoom! It hits like a sledgehammer, and it has a fantastic lead voice... very articulate and clear IMO.

I had a C5 previous to that which was too scooped for me, and I had a Screamin Demon previous to that which was too wimpy, though many might argue both of my opinions and that's fine. It originally came with a 500T which screamed, but was a bit too harsh of a lead sound.

My LP is Maple on Mahogany in case you're wondering.

As a point of reference, I'm fairly new to the tone and pickup swapping game.

-Matt
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

i ahve the same type of guitar as you(mahogany, floyd) and i put a Custom in it.
          it solved all of the problems i was looking for in tone, and i love it

Comment

I would agree with the tone experts here and put an A5 magnet in the Custom Custom, why spend another $65.00 bucks for a whole pickup.

Comment

Sorry I should have said a ceramic magnet not an A5, to early and not enough coffee!!

Comment

I am still under the 21 day trial so I think I will send it back and get a custom. Does it have enough midrange? I do like my mids!
                Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Yep, it has plenty of mids. It's not as mid dominant as the CC (but what is?), but it's very well balanced.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

I called and I am sending it back tomorrow. I have to sell one of my pups. That is why i did not try to switch mags. Plus I did not have a ceramic lying around. I hope the ceramic responds better than the ceramic in my old Super Distortion.
                    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Working...
                    X