X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reckless Abandon
    replied
    Re: Tone Quest Continues

I called and I am sending it back tomorrow. I have to sell one of my pups. That is why i did not try to switch mags. Plus I did not have a ceramic lying around. I hope the ceramic responds better than the ceramic in my old Super Distortion.

Leave a comment:

• MattPete
    replied

Yep, it has plenty of mids. It's not as mid dominant as the CC (but what is?), but it's very well balanced.

Leave a comment:

• Reckless Abandon
    replied

I am still under the 21 day trial so I think I will send it back and get a custom. Does it have enough midrange? I do like my mids!

Leave a comment:

• jimlp
    replied

Sorry I should have said a ceramic magnet not an A5, to early and not enough coffee!!

Leave a comment:

• jimlp
    replied

I would agree with the tone experts here and put an A5 magnet in the Custom Custom, why spend another $65.00 bucks for a whole pickup.

Leave a comment:

• \m/(00)\m/
    replied

i ahve the same type of guitar as you(mahogany, floyd) and i put a Custom in it.
    it solved all of the problems i was looking for in tone, and i love it

Leave a comment:

• JammerMatt
    replied

I put a Custom in my LP in the bridge. KaBoom! It hits like a sledgehammer, and it has a fantastic lead voice... very articulate and clear IMO.

I had a C5 previous to that which was too scooped for me, and I had a Screamin Demon previous to that which was too wimpy, though many might argue both of my opinions and that's fine. It originally came with a 500T which screamed, but was a bit too harsh of a lead sound.

My LP is Maple on Mahogany in case you're wondering.

As a point of reference, I'm fairly new to the tone and pickup swapping game.

-Matt

Leave a comment:

• MattPete
    replied

Custom. I was in the same boat as you: I had a guitar with a JB, but wanted smoother highs and more thickness. The Custom fits that bill.

I also have a guitar with a CC, and it sounds like the Custom is what you want.

Leave a comment:

• italic zero
    replied

The Custom or C5 would be the obvious next choices. They both fit your description pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Reckless Abandon
    started a topic Tone Quest Continues

Tone Quest Continues

I have a Mahogany guitar with a Floyd. I have JB in it. I wanted a bit smoother high and more thickness. I bought a CC. It was too smooth and did not have the ooph I wanted. What do I do now? JB with A2? Or what?
    All suggestions welcomed.
Working...
X