Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative 8 - Am I doing it wrong?

As the title says, is it me or..?

I recently bought a SH-15 as a replacement for the stock pickups in my Jackson JS32.
    Since I had another Jackson with a JB (which I love!) in the bridge, I wanted something similar, but "different".
    Based on the fantastic reviews and feedback on the interwebs I felt confident that the Alt8 would be an excellent choice.

However, so far I'm less than impressed!
    I find that, if setup to "default" specs (around 3/32 or 2.4mm), the Alt8 is:
    • Insanely hot
    • Fizzy
    • Sterile
    • Extremely compressed
    If lowered to around 4-5mm I can achieve reasonable dynamics but the overall tone is, well, unspectacular...

I'm running my guitar into BIAS FX2 through a MOTU m2 interface.
    Using the same settings and amp modelling as with the JB I can get the Alt8 to sound "OK" at best...

So, did I get the wrong pickup or is it something else, like right pickup/wrong guitar?

//Vera

You may not be doing anything wrong. That is basically how I would describe every Alnico 8 based pickup I have tried. I never have understood why anyone likes them unless they are into the tones you described.

Comment

You seem to have gone from one extreme to the other when adjusting the height. Before you give up, try somewhere in the middle. The Alternative 8 is very sensitive to height adjustment.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the Custom 8 much better than the Alt 8. The alt 8 is higher output with more high end fizz. I found the Custom 8 much smoother, more even, and more organic. Rolling down the volume and tone knobs with the Alt 8 does help though.

Comment

I am trying to get my head around how something can be extremely compressed and fizzy. I get it but I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I am trying to get my head around how something can be extremely compressed and fizzy. I get it but I don't get it.
            Fizzy might not be the right word to describe it . (Non native english speaker...)
            But it kind of reminds me of when I ran my Yamaha John Patitucci Signature bass(*) through distortion or an overdriven vintage amp.
            Instead of the warm, slightly broken up sound I got from my P-bass all I got was Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

(*) Yes, I'm a bassist...

//Vera

Comment

I bought a new guitar recently and found the pickups were - as you describe - extremely hot and fizzy. And I could not dial the fizziness out despite adjusting pickup height. I did some research on the stock pickups and found that they featured Alnico 8 magnets. They were Schecter Apocalypse Series II pickups. Once I replaced them w Alnico 5 pups, the fizziness resolved.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Seeing my tone is a high-gain tone that sounds like a can full of bees, the Alt-8 sounds perfect to me.

Comment

Try a more musical mag.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    Try a more musical mag.
                    And what would that be?
                    A Mag swap to an A5?

//Vera

Comment

You have several options. Could choose between A2,3,5,6 or uoa5.

I would recommend either A5 for a standard swap or A3 to drop the heat since it's the lowest power mag and maybe sweeten it up a tad.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                        I bought a new guitar recently and found the pickups were - as you describe - extremely hot and fizzy. And I could not dial the fizziness out despite adjusting pickup height. I did some research on the stock pickups and found that they featured Alnico 8 magnets. They were Schecter Apocalypse Series II pickups. Once I replaced them w Alnico 5 pups, the fizziness resolved.
                        Do the apocalypse pickups have alnico 5 mag and ceramic 8 flanker? Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post

Do the apocalypse pickups have alnico 5 mag and ceramic 8 flanker? Am I wrong?
                          You are correct. And I would say the fact that the fizziness of Alt 8 still dominated despite only only being flankers, says a lot.
                          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

You are correct. And I would say the fact that the fizziness of Alt 8 still dominated despite only only being flankers, says a lot.
                            Uh, the flanking magnets are C8, not A8.
                            Alnico magnets don't usually sound fizzy.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The ceramic 8 is not an alnico 8. The ceramic mags have different grades like alnico mags but they are still ceramic. The apocalypse pickups are very different from the Alt 8 to my ear but I agree with you when you say that the former have that annoying fizziness. I found them too hot, compressed and dull. Don't like the Alt 8 as well, but not for the mags in it (the custom 8 is one of my favorite pickup of all the time). I find it too compressed for my tastes.

Comment

Working...
                              X