Another Megaswitch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Wheehoo. Got my switch today. Now to figure out which guitar to put it in.
    What are the choices?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      What are the choices?
      To be honest, I have to go look. I've got guitars I haven't touched in months. I'm not even sure what dual-HB'er, lever-switch guitars I have that aren't already dedicated to other duty.

Comment

Always glad to instigate a quandary.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

You will probably get a chance to install it before I do, so I really look forward to your thoughts.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            You will probably get a chance to install it before I do, so I really look forward to your thoughts.
            I'm thinking of doing the same wiring scheme that you want to do, but possibly, inside coils instead. And do it with my Peavey Tele-Gib with the Duncan Designed JB/Jazz set. Also, I may add a toggle to be able switch between inside or outside coils simply so I can hear the difference. It will be pretty easy with this switch.

And, BTW, I notice that the mounting screws go down and short out the inner wafer common terminals. Watch out for that. Either the screws need to be cut significantly shorter, or the terminals will need to be gently bent inward. I'll probably opt to cut the screws. Just to be safe.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-06-2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the same wiring scheme that you want to do, but possibly, inside coils instead. And do it with my Peavey Tele-Gib with the Duncan Designed JB/Jazz set. Also, I may add a toggle to be able switch between inside or outside coils simply so I can hear the difference. It will be pretty easy with this switch.

And, BTW, I notice that the mounting screws go down and short out the inner wafer common terminals. Watch out for that. Either the screws need to be cut significantly shorter, or the terminals will need to be gently bent inward. I'll probably opt to cut the screws. Just to be safe.
              Good eye. I hadn't looked at the screw length- I might even have shorter switch screws laying around. I am excited about this switching, though. And I am curious if you like inner or outer coils. Generally, I don't find a crazy amount of difference between inner or outer coils...both sound kinda Stratty to me.

Comment

Generally, I don't find a crazy amount of difference between inner or outer coils...both sound kinda Stratty to me.
                I was thinking about that too. I think most people assume that the studs are a little louder. But couldn't you just adjust the screw pole pieces 'til they were even? Seems to make sense.

Comment

I was thinking about that too. I think most people assume that the studs are a little louder. But couldn't you just adjust the screw pole pieces 'til they were even? Seems to make sense.
                  I don't really think they are louder in practice...maybe with some pickups, but not the ones I've tried when I use that wiring. I could narrow it down to one or the other...and I rarely use both humbuckers at the same time (I usually use a master volume and master tone).

Comment

. . . and I rarely use both humbuckers at the same time
                    And I almost always do. I like that more harmonically rich sound. And . . . the Slutbucker.

I'll try to get this wired up this weekend. Just took in two more customers guitars today. I was hoping to get a break.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      And I am curious if you like inner or outer coils. Generally, I don't find a crazy amount of difference between inner or outer coils...both sound kinda Stratty to me.
                      FWIW, I just wired a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Jackson with a 5-way super switch that gives me humbucker-no-tone, humbucker with tone, parallel coils, screw coil, slug coil, and I can say in the bridge postion using a Custom, the coils sound noticeably different to me. The slug is more stratty than the screw, the screw sounds more like a P90 with some twang on it. Perhaps because in the bridge, the coil position difference is much more significant than at the neck?

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Perhaps because in the bridge, the coil position difference is much more significant than at the neck?
                        I was just going to ask that. That does make sense.

Comment

FWIW, I just wired a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Jackson with a 5-way super switch that gives me humbucker-no-tone, humbucker with tone, parallel coils, screw coil, slug coil, and I can say in the bridge postion using a Custom, the coils sound noticeably different to me. The slug is more stratty than the screw, the screw sounds more like a P90 with some twang on it. Perhaps because in the bridge, the coil position difference is much more significant than at the neck?
                          It may also depend on the pickups and the guitar. Artie, if you were to find the same difference in your experiment, how would this change the wiring?

Comment

• Here in a little bit, I'll draw up that diagram to show inner or outer coils. It's just a question of moving a couple wires around.

BTW, that switch will also allow the #1 and #3 positions to be full parallel. That could be a cool combo with a pair of Stag Mags, or maybe even Invaders:

#1. Neck parallel
                            #2. Inner coils parallel
                            #3. Bridge parallel

Could be a "clean" machine.

Edit: Hmmm. There doesn't seem to be a neck version of the Stag Mag. That's odd. I coulda swore I used to have one.
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-08-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post

It may also depend on the pickups and the guitar.
                              Part of it could be the screw heads vs the flat slugs also. I'll have to flip the pickup around and see if that's it.

Comment

Interesting scheme you have there. Do you have a diagram for it?
                                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Working...
                                X