Another Megaswitch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Megaswitch Question

This is an idea for a guitar I have, using 3 of the most common sounds I use with 2 humbuckers.

This would use the Megaswitch T, which is a 3 position switch. My issue is the way the switch is described by Schaller (below) and how it relates to Duncan pickups. My questions are after the diagrams. From the Schaller site:

HH4

In this version, the middle switching position splits both Humbuckers and the remaining coils (the outer ones in this case) are switched in parallel. The two inner coils remain open. Compared to non-split parallel switching, this creates a brighter sound. It is also possible to leave both inner coils, and additionally, an outer one in operating mode.

To achieve this, the coils of both Humbuckers must be reversed accordingly. The middle switching position is buzz-free, when a north pole and a south pole coil are in operating mode. In this switching version, just a single tone control is advisable. The Megaswitch T is ideal for this purpose.

Connections:

Positions
    1 bridge humbucker
    2 outer coil parallel
    3 neck humbucker

Connections
    1 neck hot wire outer coil and cold wire inner coil (Neck red & white)
    2 neck hot wire inner coil (Neck Black)
    3 bridge hot wire inner coil (Bridge Black)
    4 to 8, output
    5 bridge hot wire outer coil and cold wire inner coil (Bridge red & white)
    6 -
    7 -
    8 to 4, output
    ground: neck and bridge cold wire outer coil (both Neck & Bridge greens)

Click image for larger version

Name:	mega1.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	6042908

Name:	mega 2.png
Views:	498
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	6042909

Name:	mega 3.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	6042912

Now...the problem is this sentence: To achieve this, the coils of both Humbuckers must be reversed accordingly.
    If I don't reverse the HBs, which I don't want to, then both middle slug coils will be on in the middle position. The problem with this is that it won't be hum cancelling.

So:
    -Is it possible to get hum cancellation here (flip a magnet or order one HB rw/rp?)
    -How will the wiring change if I want both outer coils instead of inner without flipping the pickups?
    Attached Files
    Administrator of the SDUGF

I'm doing a simple mod of that diagram, but on your 2nd image, (the one that says "Megaswitch T in it), the colors for the neck pup should go, top to bottom, G, R, W, B. And you do a mag flip.

I'll have the diagram in a sec.

Name:	Mincer_Mega.png
Views:	455
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	6042957

Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind: in the middle position, both unused coils are floating on the "hot" side of the circuit. That's not ideal and could contribute to noise problems, even if the two used coils are noiseless.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        I'm doing a simple mod of that diagram, but on your 2nd image, (the one that says "Megaswitch T in it), the colors for the neck pup should go, top to bottom, G, R, W, B. And you do a mag flip.

I'll have the diagram in a sec.
        Great work as always.

You may as well put the colors for the bridge and a note saying “Duncan Pickup Colors” since a lot times these threads get referenced years later.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Great work as always.

You may as well put the colors for the bridge and a note saying “Duncan Pickup Colors” since a lot times these threads get referenced years later.
          Good idea. Gimme a sec. The dog wants to walk.

Comment

Good idea. Gimme a sec. The dog wants to walk.
            So, when does your reference book for guitar wiring get published?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

So, when does your reference book for guitar wiring get published?

Seriously though, that diagram was simply to answer Mincer's question. I don't necessarily endorse that diagram. Schaller is making a classic mistake there. As I mentioned earlier, they're hanging two coils out on the "hot" side of the circuit, (acting as RF antennas), when in the middle position. I always try to avoid that. Here's a simplified version of that diagram showing only the middle position wiring. Note where the two "stud" coils are connected.

P.S. I am working to see if I can redraw that Megaswitch diagram to eliminate that problem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mincer_Mega_problem.png Views:	0 Size:	19.7 KB ID:	6042969
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Wow, Artie...thanks! I knew something wasn't particularly 'right' about the diagram and the description.

Comment

And I can redraw to eliminate one coil hanging out, but there aren't enough contact points to eliminate both.

Edit: Correction. I accidently did it with the screw coils in series. That's not what Mincer wants.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I don't know if there is a switch out there that allows me to do what I want. Are there 4 pole 3-way switches?

Comment

Yes. But they're rotary. Probably not what you want. Also, a toggle would do it, but again, probably won't work for your project.

Three position toggle switch with 4 poles (12 terminals total) switch functions like 2 double pole On/On/On switches in a single switch (4P3T). Use to select single coils in the middle position with two humbuckers or as a selector on a double neck.
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Is this for the upcoming Warmoth? You could do the toggle...
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

It took it awhile for it to dawn on me . . . but the Megaswitch T is exactly the same as a standard Fender 3-way. It's only Schaller internal circuitry that makes it look weird. You can duplicate that wiring, (with the same problems), with a Fender 3-way. 2 commons, each of which goes to 3 terminals.

Comment

Is this for the upcoming Warmoth? You could do the toggle...
                            Yes, this will eventually be for the Warmoth.

It took it awhile for it to dawn on me . . . but the Megaswitch T is exactly the same as a standard Fender 3-way. It's only Schaller internal circuitry that makes it look weird. You can duplicate that wiring, (with the same problems), with a Fender 3-way. 2 commons, each of which goes to 3 terminals.
                            Well, that solves some things. Thank you for figuring this out! I would like to figure out a way to do it properly, if possible, without a rotary. If it isn't possible, then I might have to move in another direction...a 3 way with a switch (S1, or push-push).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Well, that solves some things. Thank you for figuring this out! I would like to figure out a way to do it properly, if possible, without a rotary. If it isn't possible, then I might have to move in another direction...a 3 way with a switch (S1, or push-push).
                              Just to be clear, that whole thing with hanging a pup out on the hot side of a circuit, is something I'm anal about. It may not be a big deal. But from an RF/noise point of view, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Other than that, that wiring diagram will work fine and do just what it says. (With the mag flip.)

Comment

Working...
                              X