No announcement yet.

Another Megaswitch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I am not sure I am OK with it either. I am always battling noise at some club or festival.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Well, I am not sure I am OK with it either. I am always battling noise at some club or festival.
      Cool. Then we can do it a different way. Let me see what I can come up with. And ideally, you need this to be a lever switch, right?

Comment

There is a newer switch on the market that came out in Year 2018, a 4 pole, 3 way blade-switch switch named the Goldo “Double Wafer” 3-Way Switch. It's a German product. A quick check on the internet shows that it's definitely available from some overseas sellers; I didn't look deeply enough to see if there are any sellers in North America.

The extra poles will allow a different type of wiring scheme that alleviate Artie's concern, i.e. the 2 series-link pairs from each pickup left hanging with Hot signal.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I don't know if there is a switch out there that allows me to do what I want. Are there 4 pole 3-way switches?
          the Ibanez blade switches do that very thing

I can look up the model number
          I may have one
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            There is a newer switch on the market that came out in Year 2018, a 4 pole, 3 way blade-switch switch named the Goldo “Double Wafer” 3-Way Switch. It's a German product. A quick check on the internet shows that it's definitely available from some overseas sellers; I didn't look deeply enough to see if there are any sellers in North America.

The extra poles will allow a different type of wiring scheme that alleviate Artie's concern, i.e. the 2 series-link pairs from each pickup left hanging with Hot signal.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...r-3-way-switch
            Wow, that is a cool switch. I have to do some research!

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

the Ibanez blade switches do that very thing

I can look up the model number
            I may have one
            Really? I honestly haven't heard about those...more research to do!

Comment

They're out there, but they all appear to be European sites. I don't see any USA retailers yet.

Comment

Yeah, I figured that out. I might have to figure out something else, or just go to my Do It All wiring. I really like that, but I was thinking of pairing that down even further.

Comment

Fender has a 5-way with two additional 5-way poles, available domestically. It's like a normal Fender 5-way with half a super switch attached. I just used this to get 5 sounds out of a single humbucker (slug, screw, parallel, hum, hum-no-tone-control). Could use half the switch to get the 3 positions; the remaining coulld be additional options or empty.

https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/00...tch-0078776000

FWIW - I didn't notice a significant noise difference between slug and screw alone. Perhaps two pickups split at the same time is worse?
                  Last edited by beaubrummels; 12-29-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Sorry for hijacking OP's thread... But quick question.

This Goldo switch, could it do inner coils in parallel in the middle position, by any chance?

I recently put in a Megaswitch P and my guitar is VERY noisy. But it isn't a ground issue and the noise changes when I shift around... I figured it was me and was going to revisit my soldering, but after reading Artie's comments, I wonder now...

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailDIO View Post
                      This Goldo switch, could it do inner coils in parallel in the middle position, by any chance?
                      Yes, it will. Availability is the problem. (Unless you live in Europe.)

But I have an alternate solution that should work. I just gotta work out a couple details. Film@11.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Yes, it will. Availability is the problem. (Unless you live in Europe.)

But I have an alternate solution that should work. I just gotta work out a couple details. Film@11.
                        Good to know but yes, too bad shipping from EU is an absolute mauling on the wallet.

And thanks! You're the man

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailDIO View Post
                          I recently put in a Megaswitch P and my guitar is VERY noisy. But it isn't a ground issue and the noise changes when I shift around... I figured it was me and was going to revisit my soldering, but after reading Artie's comments, I wonder now...
                          I think flipping the mag in one of your pickups should make the inner and outer coil combinations humbucking.
                          PRSs which offer those coil pairings use a reversed polarity bridge pickup.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            I think flipping the mag in one of your pickups should make the inner and outer coil combinations humbucking.
                            PRSs which offer those coil pairings use a reversed polarity bridge pickup.
                            Thanks for the heads-up but I have already flipped a magnet. The noise also occurs in all positions.

Very possible it could had been my soldering. I will have to revisit, and also hear Artie's alternate solution.

Thanks!

Comment

I saw the 4 pole 3 way switch for sale on Reverb, available from Europe . It will be expensive, I am guessing, but it is available.

Comment

I think I might take a chance on that European 4P3T switch. If I do that, and I want the middle position to be hum-cancelling, I could deal with the middle position being the screw coil of the neck with the stud coil of the bridge, I believe this can be done without having the bridge humbucker rp/rp, right? And if that switch does actually arrive, it will avoid the situation Artie described, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X