Versatile H-H setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versatile H-H setup

Choose a “versatile” H-H setup for a Floyd equipped, 25.5” bolt-on, Alder with maple/ebony neck guitar.

Leaving this wide open for any opinions, but please don’t just say “JB/Jazz” and that’s it. Explain why it’s versatile in your mind/experience.

Actives are on the table (I’m highly considering Fluence Classics or EMG 56/66 or retroactives) but by no means am I only considering active. It’s only going to be 3-way toggle, so splits, phase, series parallel will need to be push-pulls unless you can convince me to use a PRS rotary instead of the toggle. Two pots currently but a third could be added easily. Also, simple on-boars electronics (especially for EMG) are a possibility too. I don’t want to drill for any switches though, at least not before I could mock it up and play that way for a while before making permanent holes.

For tones I play and like everything from classic and modern electric blues, the entire range of classic rock to classic metal like Sabbath/Maiden/Metallica. Modern tones I like a derived from those eras above. (I don’t need to nail any tone, I wouldn’t want perfect Slayer/Zakk tone at the expense of more middle of the road tones)

(if it helps, my two H-H guitars today are Custom/59 with JP and C5/PG with splits)

Whatcha got?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I say a 59 and a 59/Custom Hybrid. You get a classic EQ profile that takes well to boosts for heavier music. The Hybrid splits well for Stratty tones, and, with the right pedals, you can cover pretty much the history of electric guitar.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I haven't used HH in a Floyded 25.5" Alder guitar, but the most versatile HH set I've experienced was the Whole Lotta Humbucker set because both pickups, series, split, parallel, in-phase, out-of-phase sounded good and were useful. I was able to get a range everywhere from a Dire Strats Sultans Fender sound to a jazzy ES335 sound to AC/DC and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        I haven't used HH in a Floyded 25.5" Alder guitar, but the most versatile HH set I've experienced was the Whole Lotta Humbucker set because both pickups, series, split, parallel, in-phase, out-of-phase sounded good and were useful. I was able to get a range everywhere from a Dire Strats Sultans Fender sound to a jazzy ES335 sound to AC/DC and beyond.
        How did you wire it? Triple shots with a phase switch?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

How did you wire it? Triple shots with a phase switch?
          I did my own Jimmy Page wiring with 50's tone setup. This was in a Gibson Les Paul Studio (like I said, I haven't tried a 25.5 Floyd with WLH) Triple shots would give you all that, or there's a push-pull scheme for the P-Rails that can do the same thing.

Comment

I did my own Jimmy Page wiring with 50's tone setup. This was in a Gibson Les Paul Studio (like I said, I haven't tried a 25.5 Floyd with WLH) Triple shots would give you all that, or there's a push-pull scheme for the P-Rails that can do the same thing.
            Was it all the JP options or did you modify it? (Just curious because I’ve got a JP wired Epiphone LP as well)
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The best sounding HH Strat I’ve ever had personally was a CC/APH. I did not have it wired for splits or anything. The neck had the sweetest clean tones and singing leads. The 25.5” scale keeps the APH from getting too warm or dark. Same with the CC. It cleaned up much nicer than I expected and had great crunch and rock tones. I think the Strat scale helps the CC maybe sound not quite as flubby in the low end as it might in a LP or something.

If I were to do it again today, I might put a Slash neck in instead of the APH neck. I really like the tone of the new Slash set a lot, both the bridge and the neck, but the neck is especially nice. Then maybe a Custom/59’ bridge. An A2 mag in the Hybrid pickup might be a nice sound in a Strat too....food for thought?

Custom/59’ Bridge / Slash Neck. I think that would be a fantastically versatile combo. Warm and smooth in the neck, but with extra power and you have all the reasons known about the Hybrid. I think every Strat needs an A2 in the neck at some point.

The only other pickup I really Jones for in a Strat is an S-Deco. I never did own one, but I got to jam with a guy in Denver in 02 or 03 who had a Charvel with an S-Deco straight into a Boogie Mark IV. That was the sweetest sounding guitar I had heard at that point in my life, and it has always stayed with me. He was a great player, way out of my league, but his tone was so amazing. Smooth but cutting, thick and meaty, crunchy without being harsh or brittle, and every note just rang out so clearly. I’ve always wanted to order an S-Deco, but I’ve never really felt I had the guitar to put it in.

That would be killer in the bridge of your HH. If I was putting an S-Deco in the bridge, I’d have MJ wind a Custom Shop 59’, the way they made and wound them in the 80’s, and put that in the neck. It makes a difference. I have one and a regular 59’.

Sorry for the long post. Got carried away there.
              Play more guitar.

Comment

So many options. A combo I use right now is Custom Custom and Whole Lotta Humbucker neck with a 5-way super switch to split them in 2 and 4. The WLH split is like a good vintage single-coil with lots of chime. Volume and master tone control.

Comment

Was it all the JP options or did you modify it? (Just curious because I’ve got a JP wired Epiphone LP as well)
                  I did the full monty, with 6 switches, push-pulls on all pots and 2 switches on the pickguard.

This was the wiring I did, but I think some of the positions might be labelled wrong; but the wiring I believe is what I did.

Comment

I did the full monty, with 6 switches, push-pulls on all pots and 2 switches on the pickguard.

This was the wiring I did, but I think some of the positions might be labelled wrong; but the wiring I believe is what I did.

Oh man, that one is killer. I used the one from the 1996 Gibson JP LP. Series/Split for each pickup, then overall series/parellel and phase.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For a versatile setup one of my favorites is the '59 neck and the SH-5 (Custom). The '59 suits pretty much every kind of lead tone I'm looking for whether I'm doing bluesy rock or heavier stuff. The Custom screams but also can mellow out nicely, it's pretty versatile and I love where the mids sit. The '59/Custom hybrid is a great choice too, especially if you want even more variety in tones with coil splitting etc. Of course for super-versatility I love the P-Rails with the triple shot mounting rings too, but not sure if that's exactly what you're going for?

Comment

Really nice diagram. Is there any particular software you use for that?

Comment

59 neck and Custom 5 in the bridge is my most versatile setup probably. Both are gorgeous for cleans, and the middle position is great too. And then they're also excellent at handling light-gain applications, but the gain is there if you wanna play metal too.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                            59 neck and Custom 5 in the bridge . . .
                            That was my first Duncan set ever, recommended when I first joined this forum. A classic pair.

Comment

Choose a “versatile” H-H setup for a Floyd equipped, 25.5” bolt-on, Alder with maple/ebony neck guitar.

Leaving this wide open for any opinions, but please don’t just say “JB/Jazz” and that’s it. Explain why it’s versatile in your mind/experience.

Actives are on the table (I’m highly considering Fluence Classics or EMG 56/66 or retroactives) but by no means am I only considering active. It’s only going to be 3-way toggle, so splits, phase, series parallel will need to be push-pulls unless you can convince me to use a PRS rotary instead of the toggle. Two pots currently but a third could be added easily. Also, simple on-boars electronics (especially for EMG) are a possibility too. I don’t want to drill for any switches though, at least not before I could mock it up and play that way for a while before making permanent holes.

For tones I play and like everything from classic and modern electric blues, the entire range of classic rock to classic metal like Sabbath/Maiden/Metallica. Modern tones I like a derived from those eras above. (I don’t need to nail any tone, I wouldn’t want perfect Slayer/Zakk tone at the expense of more middle of the road tones)

(if it helps, my two H-H guitars today are Custom/59 with JP and C5/PG with splits)

Whatcha got?
                              The amp choice is probably important, what are you plugging into? I personally found I can get some pretty accurate Slayer South of Heaven tones through a Marshall DSL OD channel pushed with a tube screamer using JB with roughcast A5 or TB5. Another favourite of mine in the bridge as of late is Custom 8, dial back the gain to taste for some nice Kill'em All or Ride the Lightning sound. In the neck I find the Full Shred pairs very well with both JB and Custom, also has a very Strat-like feel when split, more so than the '59.
                              For high gain I keep my OD9 always on, just sounds tighter and smoother.

Comment

Working...
                              X