UA5 vs degaussed A5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA5 vs degaussed A5

Curious how they might compare, both in tone and feel.
    Has anybody here tried both in the same pickup?

I realize the amount of degaussing is a pretty significant variable.
    For reference purposes, thinking along the lines of Duncan-degaussed A5s as used in the Brobucker.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

According to my subjective experience (involving periodically the same mags in various PU's and various mags in the same PU's), I'd tend to reply that tone and feel may vary according to the pickups hosting the mags and to the foundry (if not to the batch) where mags came from.

Now, the few UOA5 mags that I've tested with lab gear slowered the attack in a way impossible to mimic with any long or short A5. They were even the "slowest" of the tested sample, including A2, A3, A4 and A5. I don't know if this observation on a limited number of mags can be generalized but it was obvious in impulse response tests...
    Last edited by freefrog; 01-10-2021, 01:56 AM.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
      According to my subjective experience (involving periodically the same mags in various PU's and various mags in the same PU's), I'd tend to reply that tone and feel may vary according to the pickups hosting the mags and to the foundry (if not to the batch) where mags came from.
      No doubts here about the differences in how various humbuckers respond to mag swaps.
      Even in my own limited experience, some have seemed truly transformed; with others the change was relatively subtle.

I accept that there can be some tone variance from one foundry to another, though my own mags so far came from AddictionFX and he wasn't listing their origins at the time. As I remember, Throwback used to source bar mags from two foundries based differences in their sound.

Now, the few UOA5 mags that I've tested with lab gear slowered the attack in a way impossible to mimic with any long or short A5. They were even the "slowest" of the tested sample, including A2, A3, A4 and A5. I don't know if this observation on a limited number of mags can be generalized but it was obvious in impulse response tests...
      Thanks man, that's helpful. Have become quite enamored with UA5 for bridge humbucker swaps, and my old Gibson Shaws (the only pickup I know of that had UA5s stock) sound wonderful at the neck.

Just to be clear about your lab tests - when you say, "any long or short A5," did that include any partially degaussed A5s?
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I tried both at the same time lol!! Double thick A5/UOA5 hybrid. Sounded great.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          Thanks man, that's helpful. Have become quite enamored with UA5 for bridge humbucker swaps, and my old Gibson Shaws (the only pickup I know of that had UA5s stock) sound wonderful at the neck.

Just to be clear about your lab tests - when you say, "any long or short A5," did that include any partially degaussed A5s?
          You're welcome. :-)

It's difficult to define when a mag starts to be really "degaussed" but the tests mentioned involved at least an A5 less charged than an A2 (by 10 mT) ... and most of the A5's measured appeared to be actually less charged than the UOA5's - whose measurements in mT were even the highest when done directly on the mags.

HTH.
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

You're welcome. :-)

It's difficult to define when a mag starts to be really "degaussed" but the tests mentioned involved at least an A5 less charged than an A2 (by 10 mT) ... and most of the A5's measured appeared to be actually less charged than the UOA5's - whose measurements in mT were even the highest when done directly on the mags.

HTH.
            Definitely helps. I'd say any A5 weaker than an A2 definitely qualifies as partly degaussed. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              I tried both at the same time lol!! Double thick A5/UOA5 hybrid. Sounded great.
              Club sandwich of bar mags! So cool you're able to mix types.... I have a P90 with an A2 and an A5; it's my best-sounding non-vintage P90.
              Would love to try that combo in a humbucker. But right now my focus is primarily on UA5.

Comment

Working...
              X