X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sambuccashake
    replied
    Hello!
    I’ve been trying to decipher a few superswitch diagrams but I still haven’t broken the code and don’t really have the patterns down (Somewhat flabbergasted that so different wirings can give so similar results) and was equally flabbergasted when I saw your very symmetric ”jumper layout” with its unique and silent shorting properties so I figured I had to register and say “wow” and also ask for your help.

My guitar:
    2 HB (4 conductor)
    59 Neck
    Custom custom Bridge
    1 Vol
    1 Tone
    5-way super-switch

From my point of view, I can’t think of two more usable layouts for the dual humbucker superswitch setup.

1) Neck Series
    2) Neck Parallell
    3) Neck+Bridge (Inside coils series- original schema had neck bridge in series here but I think this will be more useful)
    4) Bridge/Neck (Inside coils Parallell)
    5) Bridge Series

1) Neck Series
    2) Bridge/Neck (Inside coils Parallell)
    3) Neck+Bridge series (Inside coils series)
    4) Bridge/Neck (Outside coils Parallell)
    5) Bridge Series

@artieToo Can you please help me (and I believe a great many others who need more than the standard options) show how you would accomplish the below using that jumper/shorting approach you describe here in the thread?
    I will treasure it dearly and store it offline for posterity.
    Cheers and thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210203-113314.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	6053599

//best regards Jens
    Last edited by Sambuccashake; 02-03-2021, 04:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

If the problems remain after you re-do some of the soldering, post some pics of the wiring inside the cavity and we'll try to troubleshoot and help.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    He does each in a way to ensure that none of the humbuckers 4 wires are left unterminated. His purpose for doing that was to eliminate potential RFI noise.
    Yup.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcorey View Post

I used a 5 way super switch, using Artie's original diagram.

I suspect sloppy soldering.
    If the problems remain after you re-do some of the soldering, post some pics of the wiring inside the cavity and we'll try to troubleshoot and help.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied

When i said "Artie's diagram", i was not referring to the one he did for you.

I was referring to the example one that he posted of a 2 pole switch that showed the 4 ways of how a single humbucker pickup could be configured. Reattached here for quick convenience. What is unique about that diagram, is HOW artie goes about making the connections. He does each in a way to ensure that none of the humbuckers 4 wires are left unterminated. His purpose for doing that was to eliminate potential RFI noise.
    Understood. Excellent clarification - thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcorey View Post

If you look at the original request, and from Artie's original wiring scheme to meet that request, there are no "lone" coils in the wiring schema.

I hate noise, so I would never have requested that in the first place.
    When i said "Artie's diagram", i was not referring to the one he did for you.

I was referring to the example one that he posted of a 2 pole switch that showed the 4 ways of how a single humbucker pickup could be configured. Reattached here for quick convenience. What is unique about that diagram, is HOW artie goes about making the connections. He does each in a way to ensure that none of the humbuckers 4 wires are left unterminated. His purpose for doing that was to eliminate potential RFI noise.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied

That is correct about 60 cycle noise being present in positions that feature just one coil or an uneven number of coils. However, that same issue also exists in the diagram Artie provided, in the "slug coil only" and "screw coil only" positions. So it is not an issue just in the rotary diagram.

So just to clarify the intent of Artie's diagram, it was NOT seeking to prevent noise from 60 cycle hum. That is unavoidable with lone coils and combinations that have an uneven number of coils, as i wrote a couple sentences back. Instead, Artie's diagram's target was to eliminate RFI noise due hanging wires acting as antennae. There are 2 different types of potential noise in a guitar circuit, and each has different causes and handlings.
    If you look at the original request, and from Artie's original wiring scheme to meet that request, there are no "lone" coils in the wiring schema.

I hate noise, so I would never have requested that in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    If you did the wiring seen in the rotary switch drawing, it will always have some hum in positions 3-6 because it's either 1 coil or combining 1 coil of one pickup with the other humbucking pickup, rather than combining two humbucking pickups. As soon as you split a humbucking pickup to one coil, you lose the humbucking and introduce single coil noise. It requires an even number of coils at all times to maintain the humbucking.
    I used a 5 way super switch, using Artie's original diagram.

I suspect sloppy soldering.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    If you did the wiring seen in the rotary switch drawing, it will always have some hum in positions 3-6 because it's either 1 coil or combining 1 coil of one pickup with the other humbucking pickup, rather than combining two humbucking pickups. As soon as you split a humbucking pickup to one coil, you lose the humbucking and introduce single coil noise. It requires an even number of coils at all times to maintain the humbucking.
    That is correct about 60 cycle noise being present in positions that feature just one coil or an uneven number of coils. However, that same issue also exists in the diagram Artie provided, in the "slug coil only" and "screw coil only" positions. So it is not an issue just in the rotary diagram.

So just to clarify the intent of Artie's diagram, it was NOT seeking to prevent noise from 60 cycle hum. That is unavoidable with lone coils and combinations that have an uneven number of coils, as i wrote a couple sentences back. Instead, Artie's diagram's target was to eliminate RFI noise due hanging wires acting as antennae. There are 2 different types of potential noise in a guitar circuit, and each has different causes and handlings.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-01-2021, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I try to use something between 20 - 24 gauge. But, I also have boxes and boxes of wire from all my years dealing in electronics. Old computer cables, like parallel and printer cables are good. You strip the outer sheath off and use the smaller wire inside. For small quantities, GuitarElectronics has some nice wire.

I'll look over your wiring scheme again and see if I see anything wrong.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied
    OK, now a problem.

Getting hum in position 3 (Both pickups)
    Position 2 shorted out (Bridge in Parallel).

I think that my soldering job is sloppy. The wiring I have to connect things is too thick.

What gauge wire do you like to solder, and where can I get it (now that Radio Shack no longer has stores).

Thanks....

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Excellent. Glad to hear you got it worked out. CC/Jazz isn't a combo we hear about a lot.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    You're welcome, welcome, welcome.
    Hey, got it wired up, and it works like a charm. So thanks again.

CC Bridge, Jazz Neck

Additionally, I wasn't clear enough about position 4, where I wanted the bridge coils in series with the neck coils in parallel. But your explanations were so clear, that I was able to figure out how to do that myself. Kudos again!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Cool. I like rotary switches. They offer a lot of options in a simple round hole.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X