X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Edit: That should have been a "yes" to your first question.

No. I would never do that. (Especially since I'm the one who *****es about it the most.)

See if this diagram helps. A 4-wire humbucker has five fundamental modes of operation: Off, series, parallel, slug, and screw. This is the technique I use for doing dual humbuckers, when I have the luxury of a lever switch. Note, in this diagram that each mode is a vertical configuration, indicated by the colored blocks. And any mode can be slid left or right to get whatever sequence you desire. And any mode can be duplicated. Note that in the diagram I made for the OP, the first two positions on the neck are both "off." And, when a pup is "off", black & white are shorted together, and red & green are shorted together. But slug and screw coils aren't connected. It's the quietest humbucker wiring you can have.

In a "normal wiring scheme, when a pup is off, one side is still connected to ground, with the "hot" side unterminated. If you're someone who moves around a lot on stage, and have a really long cable, your guitar isn't actually at ground potential. You can still pick up noise. With this wiring technique, you can't. All coils that are "off", are shorted out. In any mode.

And, it makes wiring a Superswitch super easy once you get used to the technique.

Click image for larger version Name:	5-way_modes.png Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	6047059
    Hey Artie,

I thought you might get a kick out of this.

Since i needed to rig up a rotary switch that would allow me to demo all four humbucke of a Prails pup that I will be installing in the bridge of an HSS Strat, I figured this was a good opportunity to start getting acquainted w how to implement your ideas for ensuring that there are no "potential noise making, hanging connections" per what you shared in the reply above. Even though my project doesn't really need to be noise-free because i would never leave this rotary switch permanantly installed - its just for short term demo purposes - i decided to implement it here, again just to get myself acquainted w how to actually implement your techniques.

So attached is the result. Let me know what you think.

Since the rotary is a 6 way, i had 2 other switch positions to do something with. Since i am interested in seeing how one of the Prail coils sounds in series with either the middle sc in the strat, or even the minor coil of a stack design, i decided to make positions 5 and 6 "in series" combos with any pup i choose to hook up to the rotary. Where Position 5 gives me Pup 1's slug coil/black-white wire coil plus that 2nd pup, and Position 6 gives me Pup 1's screw coil/red-green wires coil plus that 2nd pup.

I hope by end of the weekend I will have been able to wire up this rotary and have installed and demo'd it in my guitar.

Thanks again for sharing that noise-prevention idea, Artie!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    You're welcome, welcome, welcome.

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied
    So: Fig 1 is the basic schematic, so that you can see what I'm doing. In fig 2, you have the Superswitch out on your bench, where it's easy to get to. Just solder the six jumper wires on. The dark blue are just 4 vertical jumpers. The cyan is one jumper that connects 6 terminals. The purple jumper connects 6 more. Then add the black and green "flying leads", such that the black is long enough to reach to your volume pot, and the green will reach to a convenient ground.

Then, (fig 3) install the switch in the guitar and connect the pup wires, and your two flying leads. Make sense?

Click image for larger version Name:	jmcorey.png Views:	0 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	6047020

Artie, this is great! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I'm not sure if anyone has done it before, but I came up with that, (only when using a Superswitch), several years ago, while doodling some stuff..

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

No, because the coil is shorted out. All of it's "coil" properties are lost when it's shorted. To be an antenna, one end must be unterminated.
    Wow, Artie, did you come up with that idea yourself? i.e. have Black always routed to hot? And whenever you want to silence the pickup, you shunt White to Hot and Red to ground? Very very clever.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    After additional comments die out, maybe this one belongs in the vault. Or stickied somewhere.
    Maybe I should do a new thread that shows this technique in more detail. But right now, I've got two customer guitar rush jobs. Apparently, someone is still gigging.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    You guys are way to kind. I learn more from you all, then you do from me. Guitar wiring ain't that hard.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    After additional comments die out, maybe this one belongs in the vault. Or stickied somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I learn something every time Artie posts.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied
    Artie is a wiring genius

Leave a comment:

• jmcorey
    replied
    Wow, guys, thank you very much! Especially Artie! I will have to study this in detail to increase my knowledge of switching and switch wiring!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I must be missing something or having a dumb day, but when black is shorted to white, both end up connected to the output - doesn't that result in that coil hanging off the hot as an antenna?
    No, because the coil is shorted out. All of it's "coil" properties are lost when it's shorted. To be an antenna, one end must be unterminated.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

No. I would never do that. (Especially since I'm the one who *****es about it the most.)

See if this diagram helps. A 4-wire humbucker has five fundamental modes of operation: Off, series, parallel, slug, and screw. This is the technique I use for doing dual humbuckers, when I have the luxury of a lever switch. Note, in this diagram that each mode is a vertical configuration, indicated by the colored blocks. And any mode can be slid left or right to get whatever sequence you desire. And any mode can be duplicated. Note that in the diagram I made for the OP, the first two positions on the neck are both "off." And, when a pup is "off", black & white are shorted together, and red & green are shorted together. But slug and screw coils aren't connected. It's the quietest humbucker wiring you can have.

In a "normal wiring scheme, when a pup is off, one side is still connected to ground, with the "hot" side unterminated. If you're someone who moves around a lot on stage, and have a really long cable, your guitar isn't actually at ground potential. You can still pick up noise. With this wiring technique, you can't. All coils that are "off", are shorted out. In any mode.

And, it makes wiring a Superswitch super easy once you get used to the technique.

Click image for larger version Name:	5-way_modes.png Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	6047059
    I must be missing something or having a dumb day, but when black is shorted to white, both end up connected to the output - doesn't that result in that coil hanging off the hot as an antenna?

Edit: hmm, or is it because red-green is hanging off ground as a reverse/cancelling antenna?
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 01-10-2021, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    One of the important aspects of this is that all those wires don't "drop" to ground, or "rise" to hot. Once you decide what configuration and sequence you want, you jumper all the terminals that go to each other. Then connect one ground "flyer", and one hot "flyer." All done outside the guitar. Then, install the switch and connect the four pup wires.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

So by having both pickups always connected to the output, you're managing pickup selection through the other connections. That works.

A neck coil is hanging off the output for bridge-only, which I've read on here is an antennae or causes some noise for some. But it should work fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5-way_modes.png Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	6047059
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-10-2021, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X