Favorite humbuckers that split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite humbuckers that split?

What are some favorite humbuckers that split for a single coil tone? I've read that the JB is one, and I have experience with the PRS 85\15 that is pretty convincing as well. What are some other favorites?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

I think the Tone Zone and Evo both split really well.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Custom Custom, Perpetual Burn, Air Zone. All 3 of those sound great split, especially the Perpetual Burn.

Comment

Custom, Whole Lotta Humbucker, JB is ok

Comment

I like the Custom and the 59 in the neck. During the great SDUGF Riff-Off, everyone was surprised when I revealed I had used a split 59 in a Les Paul neck for a riff that was very snappy.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            All 3 of those sound great split, especially the Perpetual Burn.
            Interesting. I'll have to check that out with mine.

The Distortion splits really well too. One of my favorite split tones.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Interesting. I'll have to check that out with mine.
              You'll be glad you did.

Comment

PRS does a unique thing with their coil splits. I don’t remember specifically what it’s doing, but it is not simply grounding out one coil. Whatever it is (partial split?) is why theirs sounds really good, doesn’t buzz like crazy; and doesn’t lose much volume.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have not tried myself but the demos of the Screamin Demon split sound really nice. I think The Custom and also the 59/Custom hybrid are have been mentioned in this forum to have a nice split sound, but again I have not tried them.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    PRS does a unique thing with their coil splits. I don’t remember specifically what it’s doing, but it is not simply grounding out one coil. Whatever it is (partial split?) is why theirs sounds really good, doesn’t buzz like crazy; and doesn’t lose much volume.
                    Interesting. The 85/15s I have do sound great split - figured they were just voiced that way. Do you think this would hold true with their stock wiring and an aftermarket pickup? Or only with stock wiring and stock pickups?
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Interesting. The 85/15s I have do sound great split - figured they were just voiced that way. Do you think this would hold true with their stock wiring and an aftermarket pickup? Or only with stock wiring and stock pickups?
                      I tried an Invader in my SE Custom 24, and it seemed to work. The way they’re wired is different than a typical split, so provided you have a 4 conductor pickup and install it like the stocks were, it should work. Whether it sounds as good will obviously be purely subjective, but I’d argue that it’ll be better than a normal split humbucker.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The Hybrid, Custom Custom and the Alnico II Pro all sound good split, especially in conjunction with another split humbucker. The only humbuckers I really don't like split are the Little Humbuckers.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Custom Custom, APH-1 and Gibson '57 in the neck of my Traditional Pro was surprisingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Partial split?
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

The Dimebucker sounds great split. The EQ sounds about the same but it dials the pickup back a bit. My Strattiest split is my Fralin Pure PAF. Holy Grails gets an honorable mention for a great split Strat sound also.

Comment

Working...
                              X